1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can a Copywriter Make a Great Living?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Masterful, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    How great a living can a professional copywriter make? I'm talking about someone who is really great at his job.

What's the most you've ever heard a copywriter get paid for a single job?

Masterful, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  2. Stephy

Stephy Peon

Best Answers:
    Research Michel Fortin. You'll be surprised how much a copywriter can make. This blog and some other copywriting blogs or White Papers can probably answer those questions.

I personally have heard of Copywriters earning thousands or more on just one job! :D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Stephy, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Copywriters can certainly earn thousands per gig -- sales letters, white papers, and even brochures can be 4-5 figure projects. It's not even uncommon for feature article writers to earn 4 figures per article (features; not basic Web content and blogging).

jhmattern, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  4. Masterful

Masterful Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds good, guys. I might have to try my hand at copywriting.

I suppose it's all about building a reputation based on the success of your work. The more success, the more you can charge. ;)

What's the most you guys have ever received for a single job?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Masterful, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I regularly bring in 4 figure contracts -- sometimes for a single piece like a white paper or ghostwriting a long feature article to pitch to trade pubs, and other times for smaller project contracts (like a certain number of press releases or blog posts during a month). I don't know off the top of my head what the highest figure was in there, but it would have probably been one of my monthly middlemen contracts (where a marketing, SEO, etc. firm hires me to take care of the press releases and/or copywriting for their various clients during the month). That's one of the best ways to get regular work as a writer these days.

jhmattern, Sep 6, 2009 IP
    Masterful likes this.
  6. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I used to earn quite a lot but I got bored with the work. Who knows? Maybe I will get back into it again one day?

Cheap SEO Services, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  7. HighQualityArticles

HighQualityArticles Peon

Best Answers:
    i am currently earning $400+ per month just sitting in front of my pc for 3 hours a day.
    I guess, copywriting is yet another decent kind of job everyone with writing skills should try out.

HighQualityArticles, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  8. parmy

parmy Peon

Best Answers:
    I am very much interested in this type of work and really i am enjoying with it. Obviously there is good carrier as a copywriter.

parmy, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  9. Masterful

Masterful Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate the thorough responses.

One rep point for you. ;)

Masterful, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  10. shrine

shrine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it gave me about $500 a month on regular basis. I start small by writing articles and review either for blogs or website contents for a small dollars amounts. But overtime I also work on e-books or any other ghost writing jobs, which is vary on each contract. You may find it hard at your first time as a copy writer, but like me you can always rise :D
    There's still a lot opportunity in this field if you want to start your "career"
    All you need to do is be patient and consistent on your work.

Oh did I mention that you have to stay sane as well????
    Hahahaha just kidding! :D
    Go get 'em tiger!

shrine, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  11. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know of copywriters doing just fine, including a relative who does 6-figs (no sales letters either :D ). And myself for many, many years.

Of course, higher pay ($100, $200, $300 or more per hour) requires a certain writing level.

If you've got the skill, use it. Lots of business out there.

My biggest tip would be don't get stuck in the "little forum world." Yeah, there's writing here and there, but there's a load of companies out there looking for writing work who will never, ever find you (or you them) in a forum.

BTW, you don't need to be a "big time" writer to make bank online with whatever writing skills you have. You just need to be smart and diligent.

marketjunction, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  12. amroawad

amroawad Guest

Best Answers:
    I think there are copywriters who make between 1k-2k per month. These guys are simply the best there are so they can simply charge whatever they like!

amroawad, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  13. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $1k-2k per month wouldn't be the best. It's possible to do that in 1-5 days depending on what you're doing.

BTW, charging and getting are two different things. Those who charge the most do so because they can PROVE results.

This is why article writers for magazines and newspapers get paid very little compared to a good ad copywriter. The ad copywriter can show you exactly what he or she is worth in dollars and cents. The other writer can't.

marketjunction, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  14. fenrisulfr

fenrisulfr Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, compared to the others copywriters do have a lot more freedom in choice and expression.

fenrisulfr, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  15. kaori234

kaori234 Peon

Best Answers:
    steve pavlina is rich, you can rich from copywriting jobs

kaori234, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  16. talk2tanveer

talk2tanveer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anything can make you good money. So instead of asking about the potential of a certain career, It would be better if we analyze our own capabilities and interests. If you think you have the necessary skills required to be a good copywriter..jump right in.

talk2tanveer, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  17. webmasterphi

webmasterphi Peon

Best Answers:
    i think so because i believe that there are copywriters who are earning lots of bucks just in copywriting... lets not include their affiliate marketing, and etc...

webmasterphi, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  18. Kat Fuschillo

Kat Fuschillo Peon

Best Answers:
    Two of the biggest copywriters out there - John Carlton and Clayton Makepiece charge anything up to $30,000 (maybe more) + a large percentage cut of the sales, for just one sales page.

So, if you're really good, you can earn a small fortune!

Kat Fuschillo, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  19. Ducati1198

Ducati1198 Peon

Best Answers:
    It also comes down to your business contacts. Your online reputation as a quality copywriter is important, but who you know is a close 2nd to being successful with it in the longterm.

Ducati1198, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  20. jazmi00

jazmi00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a note to add to this thread as many people don't seem to realize that copywriters and article writers are two different types of writers. Article writers are just what the name suggests...article writers. Copywriters, on the other hand, usually take on the task of writing sales letters, print ads, brochures, newsletters, and other things that are similar.

A copywriter, for instance, in the IM niche can pull in several thousands of dollars for a single salespage, but an article writer in the same niche would only fetch maybe $25 -$50 per article. So, not only in terms of what work is required is there a difference between copywriters and article writers, but also price.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    jazmi00, Sep 8, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.