1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can’t start Apache using XAMPP control panel or .bat files

Discussion in 'PHP' started by 9greej10, Jul 23, 2009.

Hi there

I recently downloaded and installed XAMPP and after stopping my IIS server I actually managed to get .php files working. I then flicked IIS back on to do some .asp work and now I’m unable to start Apache again. I get a [-1]

I have literally tried everything:

1. Stopped Apache in ‘Services’
    2. Used .bat to stop Apache
    3. Tried to use XAMPP control panel
    4. Uninstalled and re-installed

All of these unfortunately haven’t worked. Now in the control panel I’m able to start MySql and FileZilla but when I click ‘Start’ next to Apache it says ‘server started, but the green background doesn’t appear and if I highlight that area it states that its ‘Stopped’. For testing I’m just trying to hit http://localhost/xampp/ but I’m getting a page cannot be displayed.

Has anyone got any ideas? Really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

9greej10, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  2. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does httpd.exe appear in running processes (Ctrl+alt+del)
    Also are there any other IIS related services in running processes, end them

What i'd do is restart P.C, then start up XAMPP control panel, then click start on Apache, then wait about 30 seconds then try to browse to localhost.
    If this still does not work then i'd just uninstall and re-install XAMPP.

wd_2k6, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  3. kblessinggr

kblessinggr Peon

Best Answers:
    Two services can't share the same port. That being said, make sure that both IIS and Apache has been shut down then attempt to boot up apache again.

If you're only using apache to do php, but rely on IIS for asp... you can actually do PHP with IIS just gota install the php module. That should cut down on some difficulties if you just stick to IIS.

kblessinggr, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  4. 9greej10

9greej10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys

Thnaks for your pointers. I restarted my PC and tried to start Apache again but in the control all I get is ERROR: Apache servicenot started [-1]. I'm just not having much luck with XAMPP at all. So I'm interested to know more about running php through IIS.

kblessinggr - I don't suppose you could provide some detailed steps as to how I could get .asp and .php files both running on IIS as this would be the ideal scenario. Essentially my aim s to have Joomla installed and runnning on my local host so I can build the site and then deploy them onto the hosting. Where do I get the module you referred to and how do I get it up and running.

many thanks again

9greej10, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  5. kblessinggr

kblessinggr Peon

Best Answers:
    kblessinggr, Jul 24, 2009 IP
  6. leoxgeo

leoxgeo Peon

Best Answers:
    I ve has the same problem

Apache would not run try 2 do Port-Check form XAMPP control panel see what is running

In my case i ve stopped SKYPE and all went good

Good Luck

leoxgeo, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  7. danx10

danx10 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you'd have fixed the issue by now (looking at the post date), but on a side note, it'd probably be best to post in the official support board over at:

http://www.apachefriends.org/f/

danx10, Jan 10, 2010 IP