1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Campaign Tracking within URLs: In Anchor vs In Parameters

Discussion in 'Better Analytics' started by Ben Bloom, Jun 14, 2016.

In the advanced tab I see Campaign Tracking within URLs: In Anchor vs In Parameters. What's the difference between these two options?

Would one of them explain why UTM codes seem to get tacked on to some URLs when I receive notification emails?

Ben Bloom, Jun 14, 2016 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Jun 14, 2016 IP
  3. Ben Bloom

Ben Bloom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ah - interesting. I wasn't aware that Google allowed for the anchor syntax.

Thanks!

Ben Bloom, Jun 14, 2016 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah... since anchors aren't sent to the server on an HTTP request, you can't alter the page based on them (unless you do it client-side with JavaScript or something similar).

There are benefits to doing it both ways... parameters can be seen by your server, so if you do secondary tracking on your server, you would want to use them. Anchors could have a SEO benefit since Googlebot treats them the same with or without the anchors (again because they are client-side only). A parameter in a URL makes the URL unique as far as Google is concerned (so if you had a bunch of incoming links using tracking codes, it would be better for SEO to have them all treated as the same URL).

digitalpoint, Jun 14, 2016 IP