1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cached snapshot gone

Discussion in 'Websites' started by NewComputer, Aug 8, 2004.

As part of what looks likes my site being dropped from google, I noticed today that the cached snapshot of my homepage is not longer being shown.

NewComputer.ca cached snapshot

All of my pages.... no more snapshots....

NewComputer, Aug 8, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure why, but it looks like your pages are being dropped from the index for some reason. Did you do anything that may have gotten you penalized?

digitalpoint, Aug 8, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The only thing that I can even think of is that I signed up for LinkPartner a long time ago.

Other then that, I spent a long time adding pages to all kinds of local directories.

LinkPartners is the only thing that I would assume was 'nefarious' in any sort of way. Other than that, I am baffled.

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Any other LinkPartner sites showing the same thing?

digitalpoint, Aug 8, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Not sure, I have been surfing around and people are not talking about what they are doing. I wouldnt be surprised if there wasn't some connection of some sort between link companies etc... Linkpartners.com is not showing very well in Googles pages right now either.

6. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Please keep us updated NewComputer

payoutwindow, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  7. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    I emailed google and did not receive a reply (as of yet), I am however having my pages cached again. I did remove myself from LinkPartners and did let G know that I was removing myself from there. I also worked some of my formatting around and played with some header tags etc....

Not sure if any of these resulted in me being reindexed etc... but I seem to be right back to where I was about a month ago.

NewComputer, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  8. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My guess is someone spilt some coffee at Google and blew a server.

Is linkpartners really that popular the google would bother with it?

Dominic, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  9. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    I have no idea about LinkPartners. It was just the only thing that I could think of that even was remotely questionable (backlinks from unrelated websites and from people I did not know). Other people were freaking out all over the place, changing their code etc... I did one thing (remove the LinkPartners connection) and altered a we bit of code and I am back to where I was, and better in some others.

I will continue to ride this wave.

NewComputer, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  10. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    some of my pages dropped from cache.... before that they were showing a cache of aug and some even july 17th ... after another crawl they dropped off and the bar grays out :(.

I have been following google bot the last few days in my access logs, and those pages that have not changed are giving an http 304 thus googlebot does not even try to download, so can not recache.

As a test, i reloaded several dropped pages by ftp and "forced" a date change on the files (and an http 200), and google has now recached the pages and the green has come back.

Odd thing is that i thought the cache date always used to change even if the page had not changed... could be my site was down during one deep crawl as i had server problems, so maybe that is what started the problem.

Anyhow, it looks like just re-uploading the file in a way that forces a new file date has sorted the problem for me and quicker than changing the file content.

vagrant, Sep 16, 2004 IP