1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cable Company Says I can't have a local Home Linux Server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by xbat, Oct 15, 2010.

1. xbat

xbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First off what are you talking about mia and AstarothSolutions ? no offense to the both of you.. But sometimes this is why I hate forums because you get people like you. First off where did you get cpiwooster? And SECOND HAHA.. YOU BOTH ARE THE KNOW IT ALLS GO AHEAD FIGURE IT HAHAHA :) .. but really both of you make me laugh.. Really i am laughing out loud with a big smile on my face right now.. haha you both act like you know everything and then you still ask me? really? I sure hope you aren't crushing anyone spirits on this forum. You both disappoint me.

xbat, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    What are you, like 12?

Those of us responding here are responding with sound advice based on years of experience. We're trying to help.

None of us here are going to laugh when you find out the reality we've tried to show you hits. You're not going to be able to host your server on a residential cable plan, period..

Mia, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  3. xbat

xbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think you might be smart enough to figure my age out... :) I mean you seem to know everything....

xbat, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  4. darvil

darvil Active Member

Best Answers:
    This thread took a big crap.

Everything was going so well with the advices, I was surprised the OP decided to take it on the wrong turn. I hope he will be much nicer to me as I can't just stand on the side line for this.

First people who mentioned that the value of the upload and download is quite different on a residential home is correct. Not to mention the horrible service your local ISP may give you. For example these past few days I had terrible problems with my ISP on network issues. Any decent companies out there have way better network not to mention you get alot more speed.

Now to as to the cost of the calculations. I'm not sure where the OP got the 350 dollars a month from? Is that some super server? Do you really need such a powerful server?

Let me give you some tips on how to save money. First do some search on www.webhostingtalk.com and see the many deals that happens. You can get way better prices. Why are you stuck on thinking of paying 350 a month? Just trying to rationalize on keeping it at home? I don't know many people who do unless if its managed support which you don't need if you know what you're doing. If building your own server is something you want to do then just get a used 1u or 2u server off ebay for good deal (there are so many these days) and then look at the colocation section to see the cost. Just get a server with IPMI (I like supermicro machines myself) and so you can control everything over the web including reinstalls. Plus if you do it remotely you also get a few IPs generally speaking. If you want you can play with virtualization using software like vmware, xenserver, opensource xen, openvz, hypervm etc etc and then you get the control to run a few operating systems which gives you more geeky fun things to do. Having a few IPs is handy for this kind of thing and plus the network would be MILES better and much faster then the crap home connection.

I mean you can get a decent colocation for under 100.. even down to like 60 dollars a month.

Frankly after this, I don't see any advantage on having the server hosted at your house unless you like having it warm your room/create noise/physical touch/showoff to friends who drop by?

darvil, Apr 30, 2011 IP