1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cable Company Says I can't have a local Home Linux Server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by xbat, Oct 15, 2010.

Recently I just got a new account setup with a company called clear picture.. I recently started testing a new server.. centos 5.5 with kloxo... I got a notice from them saying that I am not allowed to have a server running out of my home... Anyone else ever get any problems like this? They said its against the terms.. Which I have looked up and down but it doesn't say anything about this. I have emailed them back asking what I would have to do to accomplish this... So I can have a home server... I'm still waiting for there reply...

xbat, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most ISPs don't allow you to operate a server on your home connection. All you can do is find one who does. If you break their terms they will close your account down and you'll not have internet access until you sort it out or move elsewhere.

RonBrown, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  3. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As stated by RonBrown, most ISP's do not allow you to host a server at home. There are many reasons for this, I think the biggest one though is that if your site/server was attacked, it would be the ISP's network that get effected. You can try changing the default port from 80 and see if they send you another email regarding it. Most ISP's block port 80 inbound connections so that people cannot run servers on that port.

Chris

RHS-Chris, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  4. SamT

SamT Peon

Best Answers:
    With very little exception, home ISPs generally do not allow running servers out of your home. Some, however have a business package you can purchase, which can be not too much more a month than what you are paying, depending on the size of your "business."

SamT, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  5. xbat

xbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea they did block my port 80... How hard do you think it would be to change the port to a different number? I'm using kloxo and I am new to this system... Ha it was funny because they told they have great hosting packages which are absolutely insane!!! The prices are horrible!! I'm just starting to find out that alot of places don't allow a home server.. Anyone have a idea on who may? Or would I have to get some sort of commercial address?

xbat, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  6. SamT

SamT Peon

Best Answers:
    You should rent out your server space like most people do. You get higher reliability and less maintenance on your part, and you should be able to find a server at your price range.

SamT, Oct 17, 2010 IP
  7. Maximo Decimo Meridio

Maximo Decimo Meridio Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a home server , ISP never contacted me, but the speed was not so amazing so i removed it, i think its cause of the port 80 they probably notice that.

Maximo Decimo Meridio, Oct 17, 2010 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    To the OP. If everyone could run servers off a cheapo home cable connection there'd be no reason for ISP's.

Read your TOS more carefully, its in there. It may not specifically say no servers, but there are clauses in every ISP's home user or residential service plan that forbids RESELLING the connection, which in essence is what you are doing.

If you want to do that, but an account that allows you to do so. Many cable ops have Business or SOHO (small office home office) plans that afford you the right to resell the connection or use it for the purpose you are trying to use it for.

Mia, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  9. xbat

xbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm trying to cut my costs.... with other people.. It really is so much cheaper if you do it yourself... Thats why I am looking to run my own.

xbat, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Then you cannot expect the cable company to front your decision to save money. Your trying to run a business off a residential account. How do you expect the cable op to make any money if you are using all their bw?

Mia, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  11. iTube

iTube Active Member

Best Answers:
    when my isp said that, i went ahead and paid $15 a mont to a vpn company and made that my primary ip of my home server. quite easy, and the isp would never know

iTube, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  12. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Last time I checked, it was going to cost me as much to have a business connection at home as it was to lease a server somewhere.

joebert, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  13. xbat

xbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How did you do it with a vpn?

xbat, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  14. xbat

xbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its not.. when your looking for quality hosting.. and with my size... it would be a lot cheaper to run my own.

xbat, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  15. scriptinstaller

scriptinstaller Peon

Best Answers:
    Look for business plans, they are much more expensive than home internet access and come with a few static ip's

Expect prices in the $XXX range for not much bandwith.. only other home way is to get a t1 installed.. too expensive for 1.4mbps
    consider $xx,xxx for installation if oyu can even get it.. and $xxxx in bills and $xxxx in hardware

But in all honesty this is what dedicated servers are for... Why would anyone want people invading their home network? Sounds crazy to me

scriptinstaller, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  16. xbat

xbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what company did you use for a vpn?

xbat, Jan 3, 2011 IP
  17. jazzcho

jazzcho Peon

Best Answers:
    OMG, what are you talking about?

I host my sites on $6 VPS servers (unamanaged) on BurstNET. If you know your way around linux, you can do it too.

Also, ISPs block port 80 because the router uses it usually for the ISP to be able to connect to it for support when you call them.

jazzcho, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Huh??? ..............

Mia, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  19. jazzcho

jazzcho Peon

Best Answers:
    Which part of it are you missing? :D

jazzcho, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    ISPs block port 80 because the router uses it usually for the ISP to be able to connect to it for support when you call them.

That is incorrect. ;)

Mia, Jan 4, 2011 IP