1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

C# reflection problem - please help

Discussion in 'C#' started by dementic, Jan 12, 2011.

Hi, please help me understand what's going on in here and whether it should work like that ? I have a generic list of objects from a CMS:

For example List<MyCMS.Articles.Article> myArticles = articles.All;

Later I output the contents of the list in a JSON format (for CMS UI - table list).

Now a single record would include:

MyCms.Content.Games games = new MyCms.Content.Games();
            List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game> allGames = games.All;

MyCms.Content.Games games2 = new MyCms.Content.Games();
            List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game> allGamesOther = games2.All;

Response.Write("Total games: " + allGames.Count + "<br />");

//This is our fields stripper - with result assigned to a new list
            List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game> completelyUnrelatedOtherIsolated_but_notSureList = RemoveUnusedFields(allGamesOther);

List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game> gamesFiltered = allGames.Where(g=>g.GamingProperties.Software=="89070ef9-e115-4907-9996-6421e6013993").ToList();

Response.Write("Filtered games: " + gamesFiltered.Count + "<br /><br />");

}

private List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game> RemoveUnusedFields(List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game> games)
        {
            List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game> result = new List<MyCms.Content.Games.Game>();

if (games != null && games.Count > 0)
            {
                //Retrieve a list of current object properties
                List<string> myContentProperties = MyCms.Utils.GetContentProperties(games[0]);

//      Response.Write("<br /><span style=color:green>" + string.Join("<br />", myContentProperties.ToArray()) + "</span><br />");

MyCms.PropertyReflector pF = new MyCms.PropertyReflector();

foreach (MyCms.Content.Games.Game contentItem in games)
                {
                    MyCms.Content.Games.Game myNewGame = (MyCms.Content.Games.Game)contentItem.Clone();
                    myNewGame.Images = "wtf!";

pF.SetValue(myNewGame, "GamingProperties.Software", "");

result.Add(myNewGame);

}
            }

return result;
        }

Code (markup):
    etc...

as you can see an Article object has an additional class property - with common properties (used on other object types in the CMS)

I also use a filter class that does some filter operations with LINQ on the collection to return me only articles within a certain channel, for example...

So the problem is that when I serialize the collection as JSON - there are only a few "columns" that I really need to display in my table list, while I have no need in other fields - especially, possibly long fields such as "description" (lazy loaded from file system), etc... - I serialize with DataContractJsonSerializer...

I need a way to control what fields will be included in the JSON result... What I do is I use reflection to set property values to null if I don't need the property and decorate class properties with [DataMember(IsRequired = false, EmitDefaultValue = false)] attributes... - it should work well - but - as soon as I go over (even cloned!!) collection of final objects to strip off the fields = set value to "null" - property value becomes null - application wide - in all collections of such objects... eh ?

dementic, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  2. dementic

dementic Peon

Best Answers:
    problem solved,
    i needed to deep clone the classes.

dementic, Jan 12, 2011 IP