1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying and selling websites.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by blackbug, May 6, 2005.

Hi,

Does anyone have any good marketplace links for buying and selling websites either fixed price or auction. I mean made websites with content, either finished or partially made and abandoned projects.

I've had a look around online but everywhere is spammed to death with people selling "off the shelf" and "turnkey solutions" and the like. There's a few good'ns on eBay, but again the amount of junk spam is amazing.

(...and don't mention the Buy Sell forum here. I know about there already). :):)

Cheers

Chris

blackbug, May 6, 2005 IP
  2. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you visited sitepoint forum already ?

Some people had success in buying and selling there.

Tuning, May 6, 2005 IP
  3. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, I'd not heard of them. Guess I'll be checking them out right now... well, after I submit this... :)

Cheers!!!

Chris

blackbug, May 6, 2005 IP
  4. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    Your might find something at:

http://www.sedo.com

Mostly domains but there are some developed websites too.

billion, May 6, 2005 IP
  5. articlesandcontent

articlesandcontent Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same question.I am looking to sell my business and I want to consider all options.I visited site point, it is a good resource but if anyone knows any other, it would be apreciated.
    Thank you

articlesandcontent, May 6, 2005 IP
  6. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I have bought some sites at Sitepoint but every one has turned into some sort of issue. I bought a vBulletin forum and the license was never transfered.
    I have bought two original sites, not turnkey, and then a few weeks later found duplicate copies being sold, the only thing different was the domain name.

I have been the highest bidder for sites then the seller has tried to screw me for more money or just wouldn't let the sites go.
    On three sites I bought every link had been removed. Other sites have been altered.

Other things I have seen there have been fake PR assigned to sites, this is a real issue as it is actually real until the next update then it's gone, someone tried to sell a PR7 site where this was found yesterday.....people selling forums but making duplicate copies from the database so the same members and posts are on multiple forums. Copyright issues are common...adsense revenue is inflated or comes from multiple sites but the seller says it is from the one he is selling.
    Theres much more, it really is buyers beware when it comes to buying sites.

Sites at Sedo in general are way overpriced.

Cyclops, May 6, 2005 IP
  7. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    Buying and selling businesses has been treacherous since the first gold mine was salted 10,000 years ago. Web sites offer new and different ways to be swindled but human nature hasn't changed much. "Caveat emptor" has been around long enough to retain its original Latin. Thanks for the update on the nefarious tricks Cyclops...

Best of luck to buyers and sellers of good faith...

Andi

Andi, May 6, 2005 IP
  8. jeremymgp

jeremymgp Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

If you have a decent content-based site try http://www.contentholdings.com , I've never actually used them but so far my limited contact with them has been prompt and professional.

Good luck,

Jeremy

jeremymgp, May 6, 2005 IP
  9. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just to get an idea of buyers and sellers of websites, what kind of websites are usually what people are looking for ? Content Websites ? Articles ? Jokes ? Recipes ? Lyrics ? Directories ? Affiliate Websites ? Most websites obviously have adsense integrated in them these days as one of the money making things.

honey, May 8, 2005 IP