1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying a domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by lasvegascom, Dec 22, 2005.

I am a newbie when it comes to buying domains. Right now I own zero, yes a big zero, domain names. But I am ready to start buying some. I am going to start small.

If I buy a domain from another person and not a domain registrar, how does that work? I would love it if someone can walk me through step by step the process after a price is agreed upon by both parties.

Another question is, what if you do not want to do anything with the domain at that time (let it sit as you develop your business plan, build a site or whatever), what do you do with the domain?

lasvegascom, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  2. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    you must pay first before the domain got pushed to your account.

1. search some niche keywords that you feel interesting to develop
    http://inventory.overture.com/

2. search www.whois.sc/ to check if the domain you want is already registered and let other members appraise for you to see the value of the name.

3. time is precious. you should develop the after you regged the name.

hope that make sense. :)

bentong, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  3. lasvegascom

lasvegascom Peon

Best Answers:
    what is the most common way to pay for a domain? Does it cost anything to push a domain? I don't have an account. How do I get one?

What if I want to sit on the domain for a bit? Then what do i do with it?

lasvegascom, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  4. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    I guess, its paypal but you can also arrange for another form of payment.

You will received a change of registrant notification on your email and just follow the instruction.

It is now your decision to parked or develop the domain coz its now in your hand. ;)

bentong, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  5. domaintalk

domaintalk Guest

Best Answers:
    Heres a brief introduction of domains:

Few sites where you can register
    www.godaddy.com
    www.namecheap.com
    www.domaindiscount24.com
    www.idotz.net
    www.enom.com
    www.moniker.com

How much you can register for:
    Prices vary, from $6 to $9

If you buy a domain from a person?
    You will have to see where it is registered and give him your id in that site to push it.

How much it costs to sign up for an id?
    Its free as far as i know.

What payment methods do they accept?
    Most accept creditcard but some accept paypal too. If you are buying a domain from someone for a large amount, it will be prefered you use escrow to be on the safe side.

domaintalk, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I think you are waaaaaay out of your depth at the moment to be buying domains from other people. You need to buy a domain from a recognised and reputable registrar. GoDaddy.com is probably the cheapest and by the time you have figured your way around that, you will have a much better idea how things work.

I'm not sure what your goal is -- domain names or domain development. Either way, after you buy a domain name, you don't have to do anything with it. A reputable registrar will hold it for you anyway (called domain parking).

If you go onto the domain name buying market knowing as little as you currently know, then it won't be long before someone helps seperate you and your money for a load of rubbish, or nothing at all.

I suggest you start reading around. Use the search engines to find as much info about the domain name market as possible and cut your teeth on buying a few domains from a reputable registrar at the price of around $6 - $9 (as domaintalk has already said).

mcfox, Dec 23, 2005 IP
  7. lasvegascom

lasvegascom Peon

Best Answers:
    First, I want to thank everyone for all the information and advice. I just went and set up a free account with some of those registrars for when I am ready to buy.

mcfox - I will probably buy my first few domains from a registrar but there may be a few very inexpensive names that I would buy from other people at this time.

My goal is both. I may buy some domains for development and others for investment. Every domain name that I do buy will be for a particular reason or plan that I have.

I am not worried about being scammed by others because I am not a gullible nor am I stupid. That is why I am asking all these questions and will continue to do so. I have been on numerous forums learning as much as I can about domains for quite a while already and I think I am ready to jump in but only in a small scale. Are there any other forums, websites that you guys would recommend me visiting?

lasvegascom, Dec 23, 2005 IP
  8. monRa

monRa Peon

Best Answers:
    Works thorugh paypal I think!

monRa, Dec 23, 2005 IP
  9. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Hey, everyone has to begin somewhere. :)

I'm not knocking you, just cautioning you to be wary about buying domain names from people rather than reputable registrars until you know more about the market.

Have a read over www.dnjournal.com and www.dnforum.com, the first one being more of a magazine type site about the industry and the second a members forum. You can read certain sections for free but need to buy a membership to participate.

mcfox, Dec 23, 2005 IP
  10. toolblast

toolblast Banned

Best Answers:
    Best registrar is NameCheap.com cause it offers paypal deposits with NO b/s thers no ads and crap that they offer you like on godaddy

RegisterFly.com is the best registrar for e-gold and they give you FREE hosting and other goodies.

toolblast, Dec 24, 2005 IP
  11. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out www.namepros.com. They have a very good "newbie" section with a very helpful group of users.

Caveman, Dec 31, 2005 IP