1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying a domain - owner wants to keep email

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by shawnV1, Feb 18, 2017.

I found a domain name that would be great for my new business. The domain is taken but the website hasn't been updated in 10 years and the site is totally defunct.

I contacted the owner who has no need for the domain anymore but said he is unwilling to sell (or the price would be extremely high) because he still uses his email address [first_Name]@domain.com

As I have no need for that email address I am wondering if there is a win-win whereby I buy the domain but allow him to keep the email address.

Any reason this wouldn't work? Has anyone heard of a domain transaction structured like this?

shawnV1, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I get emails saying "you hardly bother to update your blog, sell me the domain". I've offer one guy some emails and subdomains because he seemed really insistent but he turned that down. My domain ties into my Twitter, Instagram, email and even "in game names" so I have it all over the place. It would be really odd to suddenly not have it anymore. Would I sell to you on the promise that I can keep my email... nope, but I'd probably make the same offer.

So, in your case, have you considered leasing the domain and a number of emails but letting him retain ownership? If you're both in the same country there is some legal protection and you might even be able to have a face to face meeting. If not, things get trickier because either of you could renege on the agreement leaving the other significantly disadvantaged.

sarahk, Feb 18, 2017 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  3. shawnV1

shawnV1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. Leasing is an interesting idea but the thing that scares me about leasing is if the business gets some traction or raises some money by the time the lease expires he has all the power to charge an exorbitant amount for a renewal knowing that we'd incur a significant cost if we were forced to rebrand at that point.

We are not in the same country - he is in the US and we are in Canada but I don't imagine there would be a jurisdiction issue if one party had to enforce the contract.

shawnV1, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you tried assuring him that he could keep the email? I'm assuming it would be no issue for you.

sarahk, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  5. mrdo

mrdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can create emails with google apps for domain, and give him his email. Simple

mrdo, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't think the technical details are what's causing problems here.

sarahk, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  7. bae

bae Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did it once. I let the person keep their email for a year. That way he could gradually transition and I wouldn't be stuck with their email forever. I also put in a No Spam clause to protect myself. It worked out fine.

bae, Feb 24, 2017 IP