1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buy, Sell & Trade - Freebies are racking up iTrader rep so ..

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mcfox, Mar 11, 2007.

In the Buy, Sell and Trade forums I've noticed an ever increasing number of people who are giving stuff away for free. People do it for various reasons - for some it's a good way to get traffic to their sites which is fine but I've noticed people racking up iTrader points just by giving stuff away for free, often plucked straight off a warez site. Some are even using the same links from the warez sites (er, so I've been told).

It kind of defeats the whole purpose of iTrader, imho.

I would suggest, therefore, that a new forum be created purely for freebies and that freebies cannot contribute to iTrader ratings.

mcfox, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  2. Kel

Kel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think thats a great idea. I-Trader should be earnt from REAL transactions otherwise it really defeats the purpose.

Kel, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  3. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    8everything, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  4. rize

rize Banned

Best Answers:
    good idea :):)

rize, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    So you did. :)

It won't have gone unnoticed. Sometimes things need an observation and implementation period after they get brought to the Admin's attention before the members notice any changes.

mcfox, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  6. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, they didn't say anything so that's better than rejecting the idea! Maybe when the problem goes out of hand ;)

8everything, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  7. chuckd1356

chuckd1356 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I agree. I have noticed that lately. It seems that a lot of grunts have been doing it. As soon as they can post there, the go off and give anything the have to give.

I support the idea.

chuckd1356, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  8. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    no news is good news eh? ;) i'm all for a freebie section where iTraders cannot be exchanged.

devin, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  9. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    errrr....then how can we check each and every transaction on DP??

ABout 200-500 iTrader ratings are added every day...may be i am wrong but am sure it near to this.

inworx, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  10. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Someone downloading a freebie that someone else picked up on a warez site is hardly a transaction, is it?

A transaction involves an exchange - someone downloading a freebie and leaving iTrader because the link worked doesn't really cut it in my book.

mcfox, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  11. pixads

pixads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess he was wondering about the implementation but with the url being in the iTrader it should not be that hard to check if this thread is in the freebies section

pixads, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  12. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    I also strongly support your idea. Its true, no one should be allowed to abuse iTrader.
    @inworx - I don't agree with your view that every transaction in DP cannot be checked. Ofcourse, the mods may not have time for all these. But it is not just the mods duty to keep the site clean. We are all responsible. We can report if we think that someone is abusing the system. If the policy is made strict, then I doubt anyone is going to break it.

Aragorn, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  13. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yeps .. if you go to Content Creation / some are doing posts for free to get an Itrader .

mixke, Mar 12, 2007 IP
    Bender and jdR!pper like this.
  14. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that free stuff should not earn iTrader points. I actually think iTrader is being abused in that way.

jdR!pper, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  15. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    Or else a minimum amount should be set for exchanging iTrader. You don't need much trust to make small transactions. But it is large transactions that requires you to check the history of your partner.

Aragorn, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  16. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    I agree-I even reported some threads and pmed a moderator but she said it is allowed unfortunately...:eek:
    Saad

saadahmed007, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  17. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Im weighing in with a request to create a free section too (where iTrader isn't allowed).

It seems more and more people every day are using this to build up their rep and iTrader. Even the few who post a free offer but don't blatantly ask for rep as payment in the thread then harrass you through PM over and over again.

There were 4 threads just this morning from brand new people who must have read the complaints in here and figured "hey, sounds like a good way to get some iTrader"

Never mind the fact that most of the freebies are copyrighted material without resell rights

I don't get how this is "already allowed". iTrader is for Buy, Sell or Trade. Even if you stretch it to say it is a trade. How can you trade for an iTrader!!

yfs1, Mar 14, 2007 IP
    Deano likes this.
  18. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    Exactly, Yfs1.Something needs to be done about it.Newbies are just posting copyrighted stuff.As few days ago some guy was posting commercial vbulletin plugins for free..:eek:
    Saad

saadahmed007, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  19. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I noticed a lot of "illegal" stuff given out as freebies as well. Maybe freebies should be strictly posted by active members only (so harsher rules for freebies rather than selling stuff...)

Freebies section :) I'm glad this idea is poping up again!

8everything, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  20. persol

persol Member

Best Answers:
    Very Good Idea, Also It would be much better if people become verified the same way that paypal or similar services verify people for their transactions,

unverified people should have a limit on the number of itrader points they can give and receive,

persol, Mar 14, 2007 IP