1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Business Directory Categories

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by toolman, Mar 15, 2021.

Hi there,

I am developing a business directory for my local town which will include business listings, jobs and events.

I am in the process of setting up the categories for the business listings and have a few questions about how I should name them.

Should I be including the type of business/service in each URL, for example /clothing or clothing-shops-and-services? I’m wondering if just /clothing would suffice or if it is useful having the words “shops” and “services” in the structure as there could be a clothing shop in the town and also someone that offers clothing services?

And the same for “Business and Office” - should this be /business-and-office-shops-and-services? I don’t think this sounds right. There could be shops that sell business furniture and also a company that offers business services? I’m guessing just having the category name would be best, so just /business-and-office.

Also, if I am using similar categories for jobs, should I use the same SEF URL?

So for example, if I have a business listing category for food and drink which could be something like:

/business-and-shops/food-and-drink

and also a job category, something like /jobs/food-and-drink, can these be the same?

Any suggestions and advice would be great, thanks!

toolman, Mar 15, 2021 IP
  2. Oso Optimized

Oso Optimized Active Member

Best Answers:
    With the exception of a domain, I never concern myself with how a URL 'sounds'. Page URLs are for search engines. And I typically remove "and" from a URL, unless I specifically think that someone is going to do a search on, for example, "food and drink". As long as you aren't duplicating a URL, you can use whatever keywords you want..
    But before committing to any URL, I make certain I have researched the keywords so that I can make the best decision regarding their choices. No reason to use a keyword that isn't well searched.

Oso Optimized, Mar 15, 2021 IP