1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building Alerting Tools

Discussion in 'Apache' started by 5kKate, Apr 7, 2015.

A high number of customer issues over the past few weeks has shown me the need to be proactive in monitoring issues, namely by using alerts. Would you recommend trying to build my own alerting tools using cron jobs or postfix; or do you think going with a log management service is the better way to go? Also, from the research I've already done, it looks like checking every 15 minutes is the best practice. Do you agree with that assessment?
    SEMrush

5kKate, Apr 7, 2015 IP
    SEMrush
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Alerts for what, exactly? What kind of issues?

PoPSiCLe, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  3. infinity875

infinity875 Active Member

Best Answers:
    my friend, you should use mention.com because is the best, trust me I use them all.

Also Buzzbundle is an option if you have money.
    Hope it helps :)

infinity875, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  4. GORF

GORF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My bad. Did not look at Google results close enough.

Most control panels (cPanel, DirectAdmin, etc) have some monitoring and alerting built in.

If you add a firewall like CSF (http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html), you get a lot more monitoring and alerting.

No real need to reinvent the wheel!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    GORF, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  5. 5kKate

5kKate Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all, thanks for the replies.

@GORF - Not a spam post, honestly. I originally posted to StackOverflow but didn't receive any answers, so I decided to come here in hopes someone could provide some input.

Here's some more info about my situation - we've been getting complaints about really slow load times and people getting 500 errors when navigating the site, but there is no immediately obvious cause. So I'm working to determine the cause there, but for a more long-term solution, I definitely now see the importance of being alerted of potential issues before the user emails start pouring in. I think at this point that I'll probably go the route of using a log management system, especially since I think I want to also use a service like PagerDuty to get text notifications. If anyone has a better suggestion, or if you have any specific log managers you'd recommend (or recommend to avoid!), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!

5kKate, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  6. 5kKate

5kKate Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks @GORF. I appreciate the help. Checking out CSF now.

5kKate, Apr 8, 2015 IP
    GORF likes this.