1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building a dictionary website

Discussion in 'Programming' started by lanolan, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hey there! I want to develop a dictionary web site sort of like Urban Dictionary, but with words our kids are using in school for a language game we will be playing over the summer. Some background history - I use to be a front end developer (HTML, CSS, and a tiny little bit of Javascript and PHP) up unit 2010, so I have some knowledge but I am not up to date at all.

My question is - what would be the best way of developing this website? Would I be able to install Word Press on a server and add a number of plugins to get the features I need? Should I look into another CMS like Drupal or Joomla where I will have to customize it to get these functions? Or should I have a totally bespoke system developed?

The features we’d want is ability for the kids to sign up and then enter terms and definitions. Each term gets its own page, and if multiple users enter the same term with different definition, they are all shown on the same page. I also want the kids to be able to tag each term with the class/subject that the term is related to. We’d want the kids to set up a profile on the website and their name attached to the term/definition’s they’ve submitted. In terms of use of the web site, the kids can search terms of view them alphabetically. The kids can then like or dislike a term’s definition, and the ones with the best rating rise to the top of the page.

As far as budget, I am volunteering, so there is none per se. It would be completely out of pocket for me, so the lower the cost the better.

Thanks!

lanolan, May 17, 2015 IP
  2. ThePHPMaster

ThePHPMaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ThePHPMaster, May 17, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    While @ThePHPMaster suggestion is good, another approach would be to install some sort of Wiki. It tracks changes, it allows for ammending and collaboration, it's possible to make user profiles, and one can add and remove whatever one wants. There are a few pitfalls, though - main one being that most Wiki-software isn't really catering to kids, and some of the syntax might be confusing (but kids are fast learners).

PoPSiCLe, May 17, 2015 IP
  4. Rahmat Sharifi

Rahmat Sharifi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you can build it from scratch its very easy you just write an script for sending data to db and recive it in an search result page like google ok that was easy yes the problem part is send a lot of data to db :d:d:d
    visit: http://www.learnfa.com

Rahmat Sharifi, May 21, 2015 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.