1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bug in keyword backlinks chart

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by pgruach, Jan 24, 2005.

In the keyword backlinks, the chart doesn't generate correctly. For instance, I get the following backlinks over a week:
    5 20 20 20 20 20 20

then the line doesn't go up rom the first day (5) to the second day (20) and then stays at one level for the other days. Insted the line goes diagonaly up from the first day to the last day. So what seamingly happens is that the days that the number of backlinks remain the same, are deleted?!

pgruach, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Backlinks are not updated daily on the system. It might be in reality but not in the KWT.

That's why it leaps to the first 20 it records, instead of the first 20 you record.

Not a bug, just the way it works.

T0PS3O, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  3. pgruach

pgruach Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you mean? If I check the results for the backlinks, and the result on monday is 5 and on tuesday is 20... then why does "the system" (what system?) not record this?!

Why is there a diference in what I record and what the system records? The sytem records all the keyword position results I record, doesn't it? So why not with backlinks?

Isn't that the whole idea of the chart, that it represents the data I recorded over a period of time?

pgruach, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The data is only stored when it changes, not every day.

digitalpoint, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  5. pgruach

pgruach Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, that would be great, but if you read my first post, you can see my problem!

If a change occurs, it doesn't the change to be of that day, instead it overwrites the "change date" with the day you chack again (if the result hasn't changed). So instead of recording:
    5 20 - - - -
    the chart shows:
    5 - - - - 20

See my point?

pgruach, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, it's by design.

digitalpoint, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  7. pgruach

pgruach Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmm... well, then I ask: why? Why design it like that?

pgruach, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Because it could have been done either way. If it was done the other way, there would be a post with someone asking why it doesn't work like it does now. :)

9. pgruach

pgruach Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not quite sure you get what I mean.

Example: Number of backlinks:
    - Jan 1st = 5
    - Jan 8nd to Dec 31st = 50

So backlinks are on 50 all year through, except the first week. The chart should be something like this:
    ...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ..x................................................................................
    .x.................................................................................
    x..................................................................................
    ...................................................................................

However, the way it is programmed, it shows this:
    ..............................................................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ........................................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....................
    ..................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..........................................
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx................................................................
    ..................................................................................

pgruach, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Right... it just connects the dots for the days it has data for.

11. pgruach

pgruach Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, well, I'll just have to accept it dosn't wok like I would like it to. Why doesn't it remember that Jan 8th was the day the backlinks were 50 (and then doesn't store new data, because it hasn't changed!).

You see, in the first chart above, you get the impression that the result begins with a steep climb and then stays the same for the rest of the year... ansd that is what really has happened.

However, in the second (the one that shows the chart that Digital Point generates) you get the impression that the results gradually climb during the year... which is not the case!

pgruach, Feb 4, 2005 IP