1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BuddyZone vs. PHPFox vs. Handshakes, which is better for a college social community?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by theprofessional, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Corai

Ricardo Corai Member

Best Answers:
    I like phpfox. You can see here: conectados.com

Ricardo Corai, May 4, 2007 IP
  2. anahowa

anahowa Peon

Best Answers:
    phpfox is ok, but 300 $ is too much for that script

drupal is the best cms

vBulletin is the best forum

phpfox is NOT the best social network script

with drupal + vbulletin you can make your own unique social network site :)

anahowa, May 31, 2007 IP
  3. ScreamHaunt

ScreamHaunt Guest

Best Answers:
    Listen people, I'm not here to flame (nor will I respond to immature BS)

I'm going to give you My opinion on the whole mess and I can speak from personal experience.

First off, anyone who comes on here and BASHES someone, or something, has a personal issue. This is a bad thing, unless they support their issues with informed reasoning. They need to state the facts without all the childish garbage attached.

I have a PHPFOX site. A Halloween social network that is something very important to me. I went with FOX, after shopping for scripts for several months.

I also wanted an EBAY style script, in which I bought and paid for, along with customization etc. (holding myself back) I'd love to bash the company that sold me my auction script. I could FILL this forum with disappointment, hand over fist. It was 500 bucks (hard earned money FOR NOTHING)

Back to Fox.

I ran the first version of Fox and it worked well. I got what I paid for. I did hire Fox to upgrade my script and yes, I'm having some issues. BUT, at this point, we can't tell whether it's the script or the server. A SERVER can cause problems too.

Despite the fact that I have some issues, I'm not in the least bit angry and I'll tell you why.

Firstly, once the upgrade was completed, the issues were in the 20's-30's. FOX worked dilligently in correcting the problems and lemme tell ya something, MOST of the issues are fixed, even the ones I thought were unfixable.

I have a lot of respect for the Fox team and I'm not bothering them again until I find out exactly what is wrong with my website. Why? because they have tons upon tons of customers and "we" as customers can't expect them to wash our dishes, or mow our lawns. We're not the only folks out there with a Fox script.

I've been treated as a valuable customer since I bought the script.

I'm 100% confident that Fox will correct the last couple of issues, once I go with dedicated hosting, which is another topic here.

If you want to run a popular, heavy load script, you better put your energy into good hosting. I'm running mine on an expensive VPS account and it's dragging. The bigger your site gets, the more costs you will have. Yeah, we want the traffic, but hey, GET YOUR WALLET READY. The good thing, is that once your network gets a little busy, you will make some money,which will cover some costs if you work it right.

As for me, I don't care if I make any money. My site is there because I care for the folks I have there. No joke, some of the best friends I've had, I made from having my own website. Sheesh, It's THEIR website at this point.

Who cares what script you have, or which one is better. There is always someone bigger and tougher in life, who cares. The only thing I care about is that the folks that give me something, support what they give me and FOX did!

Now, if you've had a problem with Fox then maybe you should look at the way you dealt with "them". If you demand things, threaten them or vex their employees, then HEY............................ You'll probably get the "sucks to be you" attitude from them.

If you tell them that you have a problem and remind them every week or so in a polite manner, then they will probably get to you and fix your problem. Remember something, it's just like buying a car, sometimes your new car breaks. Maybe they can't fix it this Monday, but they can pencil you in next Monday. Such is life. The world doesn't revolve around us at times, isn't that a shame.

I like the script, because it's honest and simple. I would spend the money tomorrow to add an additional site to the network using their script. They earned my respect.

Buddyzone? I looked at it, and it looks nice. It might be nice. I don't really care who likes Fox, or likes Buddyzone. I went with Fox and I have nothing bad to say and believe me, I friggen bugged them to death.

They always came through.

With the other project I have, the auction site, yeah, I learned stuff the hard way. BUT, I won't sit here and bash their company because it solves nothing and only makes me look like "I" have an axe to grind. Mistakes and hard knock lessons in life make us stronger.

It's only money.

With my occupation, I've learned that as long as your loved ones come home ok, and your health is running strong, the rest doen't matter. What goes around comes around.

Fox is ok in my book. If you have a problem, work hard at your network and have a problem then talk to them nicely, get it fixed etc. With my other problem, I'll just hire a coder and fix the auction site. No skin off my back.

IMHO.

ScreamHaunt, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  4. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    phpFoX has changed for the worse over the past 6 months, which is why I have stepped down as a moderator in the forums and sold all 4 of my licenses.

I won't say anything bad about the company... I think there's great people who work there (Anna for one) but they, as a whole, need to fix a lot of major issues in which they seem to want to ignore, which is why so many people are leaving the company...

It's a shame. Hopefully they fix the issues and get back to normal. But I've been through enough nonsense to be completely OK with leaving them and never going back... even after being a major supporter of the company and even had lawsuit threats from someone in this thread because I told the truth ;-)

Hopefully Support gets back to normal, too. Right now they're claiming they're still swamped but I find that hard to believe. I worked in the install department and seen how much of a mess it was because of a few people they hired. Same is going on in the forums... I guess they choose to keep the junk and throw away the good stuff. :)

clenard, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  5. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i like handshakes

Woodcs82, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  6. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wait for phpRaven.

I promise it will not disappoint you.

EJRaven, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  7. damnidunno

damnidunno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i wish you guys would quit sayin that and finally show us something.

damnidunno, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  8. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe I'm wrong -- but I heard you were the owner of www.phpfoxplanet.com ? someone named Glen (he's here too) told me and several others that this was, in fact, the case.

clenard, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  9. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    When phpfox first came out, my husband Erick was very excited about it, so he started phpfoxplanet, but then phpfox was so disappointing that he almost abandoned the project altogether, he still works on it once in a while.

That's the short story.

EJRaven, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  10. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    netpox, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  11. Pastorsinlot

Pastorsinlot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vbulletin is working on a social network plug in. It might be over for alot of myspace clone scripts

Pastorsinlot, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  12. lilquit

lilquit Peon

Best Answers:

interesting..

Also what is this phpraven stuff?

lilquit, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  13. kanwarjot

kanwarjot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    phpraven???? when is is it coming and what could be the cost??

kanwarjot, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  14. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    phpRaven is more than software, it's a platform, think of Facebook.

It will be out in September.

It will be under $500.

EJRaven, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  15. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Please keep me informed. I am looking for a platform for my domain links dot com.

Thanks.

Rich

richrf, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  16. lilquit

lilquit Peon

Best Answers:
    make sure we can transfer our members and EVERYTHING from phpfox please thank you

lilquit, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  17. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, a user database, comments and forums transfer is already in the works for phpFox and Handshakes.

EJRaven, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  18. dudes

dudes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    about the layouts are the going to be myspace compatible?

dudes, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  19. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:

This was the one of the MOST IMPORTANT features we MADE sure it was working on our model.

There are so many FREE layouts for Myspace, we would be foolish to avoid letting our customers take advantage of them.

Of course for those of you concern about security, there is a SAFE CSS layout editor and a simple color layout editor, and the custom CSS (Myspace features) can be turned off in a member group basis.

EJRaven, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  20. dudes

dudes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    don't forget the top friend featured i think the ajax is one of the better and why not making it so the admin can increased all members to have more then 24 top friends so we have something to show up. :p
    there will be a lot of people that will ask for this.

dudes, Jun 21, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.