1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BuddyZone vs. PHPFox vs. Handshakes, which is better for a college social community?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by theprofessional, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olti

olti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to try Alice from PHPizabi. Where can I download it?

olti, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  2. digital_sc4rz

digital_sc4rz Guest

Best Answers:
    Here -> http://www.phpizabi.net/

digital_sc4rz, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  3. olti

olti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    olti, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  4. cooljeba

cooljeba Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much guys!! wonderful thread... Just exactly what I was looking for!!

and I chose phpizabi .. I don't say it is best in the business but.. it is free!! and I can choose the plugins which i want to buy etc..

Rock on Guys/Girls!!

..:: peace ::..
    Jeba

cooljeba, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  5. Sonic98

Sonic98 Peon

Best Answers:
    No offense to anyone's opinion, but I tried the pre-Alicia versions of PHPizabi on a site I did for someone.

http://www.blackcollegedating.com

It was actually one I started then we brought someone in, we kind of left the project after many of his suggested changes. We helped only with hosting and support of the site. But the software just was not working for what we needed to do. There were just too many problems getting scripts and add-ons integrated. Integrating the forum of our choosing was also a problem. We just could not do what we wanted to do with the script, especially with it being encoded. Not ss a user nor an admin was I satisfied

Since then he's asked us to change it to some other software. I can't even remember what software we used before PhpIazbi.

Now on my personal site it was hosted by Invision and was basically a news site built around our Invision forum.

http://www.swacfans.com

We has basically designed our own page except for the forum. We recently decided to change to a social networking site built around our IPB forum. We're testing PHPFox. When I found out my other admin had switch the style of the site, I decided to test some other software. I decided to sign up for an account on PhpIazbi.com and some of the demo sites. It's better, but I'm still not greatly impressed. I still have some issues with it.

I can't really comment on the other scripts.

Sonic98, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  6. [noID]

[noID] Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.abk-soft.com/

http://www.popscript.com/scripts/social-networking/php-myspace-gold-edition-8-10/prod_614.html

thx in advance.....

[noID], Mar 8, 2007 IP
  7. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind Peon

Best Answers:
    Zone customer service is SHIT--phpFox customer service is GREAT

Inquiring Mind, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  8. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind Peon

Best Answers:
    Buddy Zone customer service is SHIT
    ANKUR IS A LIAR
    ANKUR IS THIEF
    ANKUR WILL NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY BACK
    CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NON-EXISTENT ONCE YOU BUY IS SOFTWARE

9. thok

thok Active Member

Best Answers:
    izabi sucks ... they have their ow problems ... and the script have backdoors ...

thok, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  10. unlisted80

unlisted80 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow...(Join Date: Mar 2007) are you here to defendng phpfox? how phpfox customer service is great? phpfox community is death right now...haveyou been in the phpfox forum lately? argg

unlisted80, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  11. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind Peon

Best Answers:
    The Only reason why I hate BUDDY ZONE is because customer support is 100% Bullshit.

12. unlisted80

unlisted80 Peon

Best Answers:
    101% agree but phpfox is not that better....

unlisted80, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  13. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind Peon

Best Answers:
    Since Vastal shut down their support forum and custormer service is virtually non existent. So I started this tread for all the custormers like me who have questions but there is no one to give you answers.

QUESTION 1
    | <a href="groups.php" class="top_nav">Groups</a> |

How do I make "groups" public without having people login in order to view the page?

QUESTION 2
    How do I add a feature to top_nav and have link to an html page.
    EXP. The feature "Test" link to "Test.htm"

14. Amun

Amun Banned

Best Answers:
    ABK-Soft.com or abledating is OK, but I would avoid it at $597, reasons why:

the support is poor.
    the script some minor bugs that need sorting out.
    there are atleast 6 features they claim it has that it doesn't have.

In their forum they say they will integrate a particular 3rd party chat, but when you ask them they say NO.

It looks great, has a few good features, lots are missing though for a script that they claim is dating/community.

Some of the other features are a pain, like IM (NO minimize) chat is very limited, forum is only a new addition and very basic, and the video & audio uploads for the members can only be viewed or heard from their own profile, not accessible to any other user, kinda pointless... :confused:

Amun, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  15. Amun

Amun Banned

Best Answers:
    Who/what is ANKUR?

Amun, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  16. Amun

Amun Banned

Best Answers:
    I love it how they ALL claim to be the "BEST and most advanced in the world"
    Well, who's they least advanced then??? Since we know who the best is...

Amun, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  17. Amun

Amun Banned

Best Answers:
    I love it how they ALL claim to be the "BEST and most advanced in the world"
    Well, who's they least advanced then??? Since we know who the best is...

Amun, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  18. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    i don't find there are any best until you know something about phpand sql stuffs.

010081, Mar 22, 2007 IP
  19. RichII

RichII Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello everyone, I was doing a Drupal search and came across this thread so I thought I'd add a couple of thoughts.

If you find that there isn't a single script that meets all of your needs then you may consider running 2 or more scripts as a single site. There are many methods to do this from completely re-coding each application together... Ok, quit laughing..... to running a registration/login script that will allow users to enjoy a single registration/login for multiple applications. aMember is a powerfull little application that will let you manage registration/login for multiple php/mysql apps. Also, many CMS applications like Drupal and Joomla have pre-programmed scripts called bridges that will let you run a 'network' of applications as a single site.

Here's an example. ELGG is a well coded and easily customizable php script that is open source and free. It can be used as a stand alone community script but also interacts with other scripts and applications to extend the functionality. They seem to be trying to corner the 'educational community' market but it will actually adapt well to any use. I'm currently testing it on my local server with great success and I think I'm eventually going to do the Drupal - ELGG - Moodle integration which will be an amazingly feature-loaded(but not bloated) site. Best part is that it's all open source and free. I don't have any use for the Moodle right now but we all know how much easier it is to include major functions in the beginning than to patch them in later.

Also, here's another thought(pulling out soapbox). In two years when MySpace and YouTube are distant memories, do you want to have a site that was built with a specific programming purpose or do you want something that will adapt and grow with you? Some of these quick-fix clone programs listed in this thread serve a single purpose. You'll eventually have to start over from scratch when the next big fad comes along. Wouldn't it be better to start with a strong base program like a CMS and use plugins and addons to extend functionality to your end-users? When the next big thing comes along you can simply 'plug it in'. Take a look at the Joomla module lists... they are growing daily. Community Builder(Joomla) is a great community script with new features popping up almost weekly. Simply install the module in your CMS and when this fad dies you just delete that module and install the next. Keep your users, keep your infrastructure, keep everything... It's something to think about(exit soapbox).

Sorry for such a long post, I hopes it helps....

Rich

RichII, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  20. Sonic98

Sonic98 Peon

Best Answers:
    I will say this about some of these scripts. I My problem with some of them so far is the lack of mods, and the lack of a good customer community. I use IPB forum, and they have IPSBeyond, Invisionize, and more people posting on their own forum that know their software and how to edit, fix, mod, add skin than most of these social networking scripts. Some of these scripts their main forum is no good, and the 3rd party sites, even the ones suggested by them are almost as useless. It's annoying to not be able to integrate them with my forum or each other well.

Sonic98, May 1, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.