1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BuddyZone vs. PHPFox vs. Handshakes, which is better for a college social community?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by theprofessional, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skribblez

Skribblez Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just wait for phpFox 1.5.

It's going to be much better in terms of speed. You'll have to go to phpFoxTalk.com to find out more. I'll definitely be upgrading, but it's going to be a pain in the ass upgrading all the mods to 1.5.

Skribblez, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  2. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    For a free product? I know of the Mug Shot script from Red Hat but you have to use it on their server or something... very odd terms but very cool looking.

PHPFox offers a Lease you can try out for $39.99? But why not just check out the demo?

http://www.phpfoxdemo.com

PHPFOX Sucks until you actually try it out, believe me! :D

clenard, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  3. DeFlare

DeFlare Guest

Best Answers:
    From my Exp. BuddyZone, Php Fox and Handshake are all different from each other. They are not jus different in Look, Style, Coding, or price but also in Structure. To me structure is the main root for a script to be strong. PhpFox's Structure is poorly weak..but where as BuddyZone Structure is rich. But then again, structure doesnt matter to users but rather to Admins..wat really matters to the users is the look. Poor looks can lead to less interest but poor structure can creates trouble that lead to loss of thousands. So wat about HandShake? Well Handshake has the best looks and the stucture..but the creativtey wont help succeed any webmaster dream..due to the fact that its style is too bold and too boring. So..wat type of script are we lookin for..well basicly a script that allows user to get many possibilites..well who do we have for the job? Is it BuddyZone or PhpFox. Now lets compare both face to face.
    • Customizing: With BuddyZone webmaster can customize their script without endless possiblities, whereas PHPFox..limits their customizing by hiding their source code.
    • Profile Customizing: With BuddyZone profiles can be edited or customized by thousands of sites dat already offers ithis type of profile (myspace) but whereas PHPFox profiles cant be and becomes hassle for users.
    • Features: Both PHPFox and BuddyZone's features are equally matched
    • Admin Control: Equally Matched
    These are the main 4 comparing part of Social Networking Script other than Structure. Both PhpFox and BuddyZone is advancing, as PHPFox has released its Beta Version 1.5 and lookin toward v2.0 which is basicly the correct form of 1.5. BuddyZone on the other hand is also lookin toward releasing their complete version 1.5 which seems to have more features, better structure and stabilty than PHPFox v1.5 or v2.0.
    To the Webmasters: PHPFox and BuddyZone will offer its IM, which is the integrated form on PHP121 but there is great difference between them, PHPFox's IM creates a heavy load in the server CPU where as BuddyZone's IM doesnt. This is very serious issue especially since its a social networking script.

DeFlare, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  4. unlisted80

unlisted80 Peon

Best Answers:
    All the scripts are confusing at first....you need to stick with one script and study that script over and over again :)

unlisted80, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  5. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    god confused everytime,which to buy.guys suggest me
    i'm going to start a medical site community which includes medical students,doctors,nurses.which will be great,as i may not need features like music or sth.

010081, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  6. unlisted80

unlisted80 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are very serious about your site and will to spend couple grands then hired a programmer team build one. People (visitors) alway interesting something differ and unique...for example if you have myspace account do you want to sign up another site similar to myspace? NO!!! why waste your time to update right?...but the con is cost some $$$

open source:
    Good Luck

unlisted80, Dec 12, 2006 IP
    010081 likes this.
  7. tapalapa

tapalapa Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, am sorry but I cannot stand back and watch PHPFOX get bashed by you haters on the forum. I have tested all the demos, handshakes, phpzabi and buddy zone . To put it simply but yet explicit words, they are all Crap! pieces of software. You cant even compare the level of professional and standard that phpfox offers. These guys have one of the best coders you will find in the scandinavian block, Natio , look him up. Phpfox script is the ultimate social networking script. These guys work so hard, you start feeling like you are really part of an online family as everyone on their forum is so attentive and help each other out. Support is 100% top class, their script even though it has some bugs, they do fix it. there is no script out there without bugs!, final!. what makes phpfox different is that they are always working on improvements. I have purchased their script and I am happy with it. Its making me money with adsense . Peaze

tapalapa, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  8. unlisted80

unlisted80 Peon

Best Answers:

I like this one
    I pretty sure is alot on a search engine why? because every single line start with PHPFOX...

Even more interesting that when site admin email to members also have "phpfox" in there :confused: :confused: :confused:

unlisted80, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  9. yomismo

yomismo Peon

Best Answers:
    I was reading one person that like Dolphin, is somebody else using that software. It seems here there are lots of coders or employees from those companies (PHPfox, Alicia , etc)

It does not look honest reviews

I am interested on aroundme and dolphin

I would like Drupal to be social software that would be it. It seems that is a solid software, to the point that IBM is using it now

Thanks

yomismo, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  10. yomismo

yomismo Peon

Best Answers:

I really do not see an honest reviewer as she claims to be

See this:
    Taken from the PHPizabi site

This software has not been touched for more that a year. Is that a great software???

So please, where are the real reviewers

THanks

yomismo, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  11. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    Congradulations on your 3rd post.

It has been updated but I have nothing to prove as I don't believe everything I read in forum posts.

Yes Drupal is a great CMS and I will leave it at that.

Yes and I do see some bias in some of the reviews but some are not showing all thier hands and keeping a good poker face doing so.

reapr, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  12. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    thankx for suggestions i changed my mind and go for vb.

010081, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  13. rosefairy

rosefairy Guest

Best Answers:
    I think phpfox is nice, there are two reason.
    The one is that Phpfox version upgrade very quickly.
    The other is that there is a big community on phpfox.com and you can find many coders working on it like us: www.phpfoxguru.com.
    Also there are many choices for you to make your phpfox website unique.

rosefairy, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  14. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    i want phpfox but don't know how to get it as i don't have verified paypal.

010081, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  15. Skribblez

Skribblez Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can get your PayPal verified with those VCC's people are selling in the BST section at DP. Have a look.

Skribblez, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  16. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I hope you learn to read soon, Alicia is the best OPEN SOURCE software..

EJRaven, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  17. digital_sc4rz

digital_sc4rz Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree phpfox is sweet been using it 24/7 for around one year now :cool:

digital_sc4rz, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  18. unlisted80

unlisted80 Peon

Best Answers:
    do you know what you talking about?

upgrade quickly? so if i am using version 1.4 and i want to upgrade version 2.0 which mean i have to upgrade 1.5, 1.6 1.7. 1.8 then 1.9. and then 2.0 and you said that quickly

unlisted80, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  19. rosefairy

rosefairy Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't want to argue with you about this.
    I did freelance job about these three scripts, In my view, the phpfox is better than others for customization.

rosefairy, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  20. JKhoury

JKhoury Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alicia isn't completely open source. There are various bits that are encoded from what I've read. Please go ahead and correct me if I'm mistaken. :)

JKhoury, Jan 14, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.