1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BuddyZone vs. PHPFox vs. Handshakes, which is better for a college social community?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by theprofessional, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rooseraperi

rooseraperi Guest

Best Answers:
    So you purchased both BZ and HS? - Am trying to avoid purchasing multiple packages.... I am guessing you did, since you commented about the code in each...seems lots of posters are able to offer feedback on the code for multiple packages...indicating people are buying, are unsatisfied and then trying another solution?

Are any template based? - seems BZ is all CSS and php includes.....which can be a little messy.

rooseraperi, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  2. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    Here is my two cents....

PHPFox - Excellent to just throw up. A beast to customize.

Ablespace - I'm not comfortable this script works. Chat is horrible (keeps popping up) and must be within the window you're using. On the surface it looks great but the more I played with it the more immature I realized it is. It is also encoded.

Handshakes - It is encoded (the important parts) and I could not find any successful sites (even phpfox had a handful.) The forums were weak. Better than any of the other three I've mentioned but it does cost $450. There is no vbulletin integration - it's just a new user sync. Change your password in vbulletin as a user and nothing syncs. Needs a lot of cleanup.

BuddyZone - Not even worth considering. Looks like a better version of phpfox at first - without the modification options. Nuff said.

phpbizabi/alicia - When it works consistently we can start talking about it

Dolphin - Yikes. But it is free and open source.

Joomla - Considering it with community builder. At least it's also open source and has options.

They all have problems but the paid ones should provide you with more than they seem to.

slinky, Jul 22, 2007 IP
    mgrohan likes this.
  3. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there slinky,

Thanks for the feedback on the products. I'm looking for something stable to build on and it doesn't seem like there is a product out there right now. Mostly what I need is the ability to build a playlist, groups, chat, and forums. I was considering Joomla, but they have been in this quasi limbo state between major releases (without a good migration path), for a very long time, and that really bothers me. I don't want to build on the old platform and I don't know when (or if) 1.5. will ever be a stable production release.

If you have any further thoughts on Joomla or any of the other products (stability. security, and basic functionality being my primary concerns), IO would appreciate it.

Rich

richrf, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  4. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    I use Joomla extensively. I'm not too worried about the migration to 1.5 since the 1.0.x platform will be around for quite a while. Additionally, there comes the point to where you're going to need to customize your site and maintain it if it reaches that point where you've got a large enough user base and take it from there.

But what you're talking about is pretty simple if that's all you're looking for. it seems more like a media script than social networking and those are two different things. Check out mediascript (I think the name is) and I've been in touch with the author, who is pretty active. That might suit your needs, at least until your site really takes off which we all hope it does.

slinky, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  5. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    A few more insights I have had in researching:

BuddyZone seems good on the surface but I have no confidence in their direction or ability to understand the customer. Not sure they'll be around in a year.

DZOIC - Nice guy who runs it. Responsive, polite, but I'm not sure if his price point is too high. Sites made on it have many registrations just not lots of traffic. Kind of like Linked In if that's what you really want, e.g. site with little traffic but lots of members who use it periodically. Could be a number of factors. like the software from a distance.

PHPFox - better script than many of you give it credit for. Problem is the customization and UI are difficult to change. As a result, usability suffers. But there are many examples of success. It has all the basics, none of them really done well.

phpizabi - Alicia - The original name itself is an indication of the confusion within. The best sites look great but also function like a UI nightmare and seem always to be broken. I love the attitude in the forums. Having been involved in enough open source projects I decided that this one was going in the same direction as david caruso's career after NYPD Blue without the eventual upside.

Ablespace - Lots of glitz and glamour. My writing to them wasn't met with any impressive response. They do have a phone number. For some reason I'm still not sold on this encoded piece of software that is well marketed. If they built a chat client like the one they have, it scares me to think of what the rest must look like.

WebScribble - Also encoded. Looks nice just too bad there are very few features. Supposed to link into their other dating software which is OK, has scaling issues and supposedly keeps pinging their server to let them know where it's installed. If it goes offline, you're locked out of the admin although your site is supposed to function. Gives me such a vote of confidence to use like you don't know.

No matter what script you choose there is going to be some work involved or private development. I was going to go the full route but it's a lot of money and I need to get something up quickly due to time issues and opportunity. I'll worry about the long haul shortly.

slinky, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi again,

Thanks for the additional info. As it turns out, I was actually reviewing Social Media from mediascript as you were writing your post. :) It looks interesting enough, but it is the only company that I have run across so far that prevents interested users from viewing their forums (other than the pre-sales forums). They do provide reasons, but I am unconvinced. ExpressionEngine, for example, runs a completely open forum, and I am completely comfortable with what I read there, so I do not understand MediaScripts reluctance to reveal what other users are saying. But, I will watch other forums for feedback (I think this is not necessarily the best way to do it, but it is the only way available to me), and see what others may say.

Thanks much for your recommendations, insights, and support.

Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  7. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    No problem Rich and glad to help. I agree with you. I love EE and think it's a great piece of software. It's a far, far better blog than Wordpress unfortunately I found it not as compatible as I'd like it to be. I own a copy myself. Forums are completely open and support and people there are great.

slinky, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  8. garin

garin Peon

Best Answers:
    This Raven chick is really lame, She runs her mouth about every social network script.

The promotes her own so called phpraven.

Which can do every thing even make toast.

I laugh at you raven seriously. You bad mouth phpfox then turn around and mimic there name phpfox,phpraven even mimic there color sceme.

You script doesnt exsist and if it does im sure it a moded e-friends. lol

garin, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  9. absoluto

absoluto Peon

Best Answers:
    i´m sorry to say, but she realls does get on MY nerves, too...

absoluto, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  10. will2power

will2power Guest

Best Answers:
    Webscribble isn't going to be worth the price of admission, if you purchase it. Plus their software is encoded, so if you want to make a change--you can't without their help. They also heavily censor their user community, making it nearly impossible to share mods and improvements or any hacks you might come up with. This may have changed. I've owned a copy of webdate since 2002, and Each version has gotten more repressive when it comes in terms of being able to do anything with it.

will2power, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  11. dudes

dudes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll second that, support sucks.

dudes, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  12. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Slinky,

Thanks for the reviews. I have come to pretty much the same conclusions, only I cannot find any reference sites for Handshakes. Can you list those that you have found? If anyone else knows of any, I would appreciate it.

It does sound like none of the packages are really that good, which goes to show how difficult a job it is to put together a good package. However, it works well, I am willing to pay the freight - after a trial.

Thanks for the assist,
    Rich

richrf, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  13. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    The colors are not mimic, just standard web 2.0 soft pink and blue, phpRaven was conceived even before phpFox hit the market, the script is under development and it's not a moded e-friends script lol.

Our script can also make pancakes btw.

Advertising a product can be annoying not only for the intended target audience but also for the advertiser.

We have cooled down our advertising now until our script goes live so you won't see me around the forums so much so you can rest and take a chill pill.

EJRaven, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  14. absoluto

absoluto Peon

Best Answers:
    so i was right: you are only here for advertisement. no ads, no staying around...

thanks!

absoluto, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  15. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, I'm here to provide support, you are wrong I am staying around.

EJRaven, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  16. absoluto

absoluto Peon

Best Answers:
    nevermind...

absoluto, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  17. Simplyput

Simplyput Peon

Best Answers:
    Man where do I begin with webdate and webscribble. Will2power is right on the money with this his comments. All I can say is stay away. I have been using the software since 2003 and learned how to halfway code with this software due to all the issues with it. The new community portion does not communicate with the dating portion it's only a log in function. There really is no support. Hey will2power do you have a copy of 1.3 I really need this. Hit me up and let me know if you have it I still have my original email reciept from scribble to prove I have a lic.

SP

Simplyput, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  18. wazimm

wazimm Peon

Best Answers:
    social networking scripts - so many to choose from and time is running out. I have a headache

wazimm, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  19. storeskin

storeskin Peon

Best Answers:
    Same reason i pick vbulletin over phpbb. Much better community and help

storeskin, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  20. kingc

kingc Member

Best Answers:
    Well Said C - I am still reading this thread, catching up and have Much more to say and add - as these comments were made by you quite a few months ago; But I so agree that anything worth doing takes Time - So far, it looks like phpIzabi is the best 'free' platform - that is what I'm building on now. And I think that's what I'd like to talk about - with others; is how to Improve upon what's already out there; Hopefully this thread will have answers, or will attract people with solutions.

I'm here to help - once I figure everything out.

kingc, Sep 19, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.