1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BST Section Behaving Weird

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Spider Man, Jul 31, 2009.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How many mods do you think we have here? And how many active ones out of that? If you find posts that violate the rules, report them. And if you want to save us time so we can spend more of it on those reports, then quit wasting it with continual bitching about things before they've been active long enough to judge. And for the record, it's definitely easier to moderate BST now. I just went through a handful of sections in there, and the crap that didn't belong is much easier to catch. Alas, we do have businesses and lives outside of DP, so instantaneously bowing to your every need is beyond the scope of the job description. Before people bitched about their competitors getting ahead by bumping. Now they'll bitch about duplicates. I'm starting to like Shawn's previous suggestion of just closing the whole BST section down.

jhmattern, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  2. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean, whole DP? :D

OK, treat it as a joke ;)

But really wondering, how many Active mods are here on DP? And how many for BST section? And why it's so hard to hire new mods?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    patelsagar, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  3. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    We only have a handful of really active mods. I don't believe any of the active ones are restricted to covering certain sections. We all look after all sections. Some spend more time on reports. Others spend more time on the front end cleaning things up as we find them. Some of us also pay particular attention to certain areas where we're active personally (for example, I work to keep the copywriting section clean because it's where I post discussion-wise). And in the grand scheme of things, BST probably gets the most attention as it is.

It's been difficult to find potential mods, because it's hard to find people we can agree on. For example, we may get 10 people nominated, and end up choosing two based on votes. We look at a lot of different things, so there's no single answer to it. But you'd be surprised how few members seem to really know and follow the rules (even if it comes after getting infractions and learning from them - mods don't have to be infraction-free). Even when we nominate someone we think is good, it's not unusual for another mod to know something that shows they wouldn't be good. At this point, given that most of the good ones would be smart enough to say "no way in hell!" if asked to be a mod, I'm just glad we got the two (Sawz and Deluxdon) that we recently added. lol

4. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why dont u guys do something about the non active mods ? confirm with them whether they are interested and if not take back thier powers.. like Shoemoney he probably is a busy man does he have time to mod here ?

Bohra, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  5. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Some of them do pop in still periodically, and some aren't around for long-term, but temporary reasons (like family issues, military service, etc.). Even if they were gone though, it wouldn't help with finding new ones. And I doubt there's a single active mod who wouldn't love to see the team grow quite a bit. Believe me... doing this stuff ourselves isn't exactly "enjoyable." We do it because we care about the community, but there's far more crap to deal with than a small team can constantly stay on top of. So we do the best we can with what we have for now, and when we find more people that be honestly believe will be good mods (and assuming Shawn agrees enough to ask them) then we'll get more.

6. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well we know u ppl care but even we do care this change is going to actually affect the B/S/T section in the long term. well dont know if u know but there is a site called webmaster-talk it also had a marketplace then one day they made change to thier marketplace people wernt very happy.. if u see it now its dead people post but none actually recieve any active sales i guess...

Bohra, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    With a forum this size, we expect people to complain when a big change is made. But when the complaints aren't based on enough time to really get used to the system, they don't carry as much weight as they would otherwise. What I've wanted to do (but don't have time today) is to pull up the older S&F threads of people complaining about the bumping hurting their threads, and compare it to the current threads. What I'm interested to see mostly is who's doing the complaining. I have a feeling they're going to be predominantly different people (where the current complainers were quieter about that issue because they didn't mind it as-is, and where the old complainers aren't talking about it now because it's preferable). One of these days this week when I have time between my clients, my own sites, my own product sales, my own marketing and networking, other mod issues here, my errands, my housework, my friends, my family.... then I'll take a look, and one way or the other I'll mention it here. If nothing else, I think it'll be interesting to compare.

8. Great Designer

Great Designer Banned

Best Answers:
    I think this change has discouraged the sellers.It will affect sales.Since the thread will not come on first page after any posts like reviews,updates etc.Buyers will have to sort threads and they will only sort when they will know this change or do not bother to sort.

There are rules already for bumping threads.

Now if this change will remain,please do something like make any sticky so that buyers can sort threads.

I would like to know what the sellers should do so that the sales can be increased than before.

Many people make their living here with the help of BST section so this should be given value too.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    Great Designer, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  9. sadekjake

sadekjake Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, after the new changes have been implemented, there are no sales for me this far.

Previously, I had to regularly stop taking on orders because of too many buyers willing to put an order.

I am sure I am not one of those bumpers who forced BST to change. But anyhow, I am paying the price. I am sure many others are too.

Many of us used to make a living out of BST. There is nothing wrong in that, right?

I am sure that the overall trade volume (in terms of money) has decreased to about 10-20% of before. Most of the people here are online professionals, or are part timers making money somehow on the net. Money is what drives the whole community. And the BST section was a perfect place for all these people to make some money too.

Even if going back to the previous form is not possible, please consider the suggestions put by others (making it a paid forum....and others). There is no harm in trying something more effective.

Thanks a lot for reading through.

sadekjake, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  10. Guthix121

Guthix121 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If threads don't get bumped anymore, can you be a little more lenient about posting to your own thread such as updating stats or posting discounts or whatever?

Guthix121, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    We haven't changed other rules, so please keep abiding by them. The change isn't a license to bump (it's still post-padding). It will be up to Shawn to decide whether or not to change them down the road when he's had time to see the new setup in place. If we changed rules, and it turned out things do get changed back months from now or whatever, we'd have to go through another round of that nonsense in getting people familiar with the rule again.

jhmattern, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  12. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope Shawn agrees to let people post in their own threads. After all, with latest BST changes, BUMPing is vanished. Buyers are free to skip any threads they want while "searching". So, what's the problem in letting someone post to his/her own thread in BST?

Post-padding can be reported to mods, just like we are supposed to report multiple threads now. If members find something annoying, they will report it, isn't it? (Though, one note about reporting: I had reported one multiple thread case 4-5 days ago. But still no action is taken against it. I wonder how much time is required for that?)

And thanks for inspiring us to diversify the business, it does help :)

patelsagar, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  13. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, if you are only looking at Bumping threads then yes it is a good setting. But one positive effect can definitely be hidden by a no of negative effects.

What if google change their search engine to the date of a new site indexing!!!!

Please give it a thought.

pro.seods, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I looked it up yesterday. The report was already closed. Not all reports get acted on, and some don't get acted on in the ways you think (sometimes deletion, sometimes closures, sometimes infractions but w/o a public action, and if the mod determines the report isn't valid -- and we get plenty from people reporting just to complain about something / someone they don't like, then they may choose to do nothing at all). In this case, it was indeed dealt with. One of the duplicates seems to have been closed. I also know this particular poster was then brought up in a discussion in the mod forum because the issue was bigger than your report. I haven't checked in there yet today, maybe it's still being discussed. Not everything can be dealt with immediately, and sometimes we choose to let other mods weigh in before deciding how to fully deal with a situation.

jhmattern, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  15. Guthix121

Guthix121 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the main problem is post padding, then a simple solution is to just remove post count from the BST forums.

Guthix121, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    If post padding were the only issue, that might be a solution.

jhmattern, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  17. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Being able to sort B/S/T threads by *actual* relevancy would be preferred (not sort by last post date or thread start time). If you know the SQL query to that, please post it here and we can implement it.

digitalpoint, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  18. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    you mean full text search?

19. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, full text search does not sort based on actual relevancy... Only keywords.

digitalpoint, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  20. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    so you actually want to create a search which can show the exact threads have the same keywords as you have search? Just like google?