1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BS-ing all the way to the bank

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Dominic, Jun 3, 2005.

Who tried to pull your leg?

Two things this week where someone tried to bs me for a dollar, both made me laugh but you gotta wonder how much money misinformation makes people online.

1. Got a call from a telemarketer telling me they were building me a 4 page website that would only cost me $600. I cracked up and said "for only $600 - you're joking?!!!, I've got thousands of pages online at the moment and doesn't even cost me that." The person got confused and said "really, how do you do that?" I just said "don't worry, just call someone else that doesn't know." and hung up.

2. Someone wanting to renew advertising on one of our sites said 'the links from your site haven't been passing pagerank, because they aren't listed as backlinks in google.' They were shooting for a cheeper price... when I said, that's not actually how it works go ask in any decent webmaster forum... the email conversation quickly moved on. Of course they knew the links were passing pr, but tried to BS me to see if I knew. I've got a site you pay hundreds of dollars to advertise on and think I wouldn't know the difference... dah! Funnily enough, the links were listed by google.

I guess this is the information age, and there is a lot of money to be made from people who don't have the information you do.

Personally I think someone like Aaron Wall's approach would be much more successful... give people free info in a blog and sell a more advanced ebook. Honnest, long term, sustainable...

Anyone else got a funny one where someone tried to BS you for money (seo / sem).

Dominic, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I weekly get spam that says I'm not in the Google index. So I really need their SEO services.

I show them a screenshot of the 120+ top 10 rankings I have (KWT) of just one of my sites and silence them.

Yet they keep thinking every week I'm dropped again.

T0PS3O, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  3. Dastar

Dastar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I always seem to get link exchanges from banned websites. Or, they tell me that my site is mainly affiliates links, but since I had a PR pages of 4 and 5, they'll swap links with me and put me on a page that turns out to be PR 0 if I put them on my PR 5 page. Sounds like a good deal to me.... maybe I should paypal them a few bucks since they are doing me such a huge favor :D

Dastar, Jun 3, 2005 IP