1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bringing back a old but dead site? Panda/ Penguin

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by GMMC, Dec 5, 2018.

Hi, I have a old site that I made back in 99, it was focused on travelers to a particular country. For about 15 years I ranked for a lot of terms and was bringing in 1000's of visitors a day, regrettably I never kept the site up to date and roughly back in 2014 or so it started to die and now it is pretty much dead. Maybe 50 visitors on a good day.

Since August I gave it a new responsive design as it wasn't mobile friendly, googlebot disallowed the forum as maybe thin content (also had a bit of spam) as well as the photo gallery, reorganised the articles (new cms so different urls) and update a lot of text, prices, dead links etc.

Nothing has changed since then, still no traffic. I have 100's of legit links but 1000's from spammy link farms, fake blog sites and the like. Links were still growing naturally (never asked for links) till I got on the bad site of Google.
    SEMrush
    The most frustrating part is my maps, they drove a lot of traffic, I allowed people to use them as long as they linked back, that page has about 80 legit links, mostly small businesses and blogs/personal pages but some .eu and gov sites. Practically all these sites out rank me for this map in both the search and image search, I am no where to be found.

I am at a loss as to what I can do. Do sites even recover from this? The site isn't https so that is a option but honestly I don't think it will bring a dead site to life? Anyone ever recover a site in a similar position?

I used that moz tool bar and my map page says page authority 41, domain authority 45, links 878, spam score 28. Any idea what could be read into that? My home page has 53,000 links. Way too many spammy link vs good links? Pretty crappy if that is the reason as totally out of my control. Oh and no penalty in search console. Gah.

GMMC, Dec 5, 2018 IP
    SEMrush
  2. sigen

sigen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No penalty is a good sign. Switch to https, disallow spammy links, update your content, make some on-page tweaks, ping your sitemap to Google, and you should be seeing some improvements.

sigen, Dec 6, 2018 IP
  3. mrb1129

mrb1129 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, back then this type of site's number were zero compared to now. So,you need to keep up.

Even though its in travel niche still some content will need updating. So, update them first. These type of sites at present day has many features so adding them too will be plus, check out your competitors what they are doing.

You will need extensive SEO work that's for sure. Make an audit of your link profile. Get rid of the bad links. Then focus on creating content and getting new backlinks.

Your site is getting atleast 50 visits per day so its safe to say that its not dead yet.

As I said you need to keep up. Present day travel sites have a great social media presence so keep that in mind too. Many sites now-a-days publishes videos in Youtube to get more exposure so if you can publish videos it will work for your advantage.

And stop caring about DA and PA. They don't have any effect in the SERP's. My suggestion to you will be that get your site checked by a professional for SEO and technical works.

Let me know if there are any further developments.:)

mrb1129, Dec 6, 2018 IP
  4. Nirav021

Nirav021 Banned

Best Answers:
    If your website have got a penalty then you have to leave that domain. because it is very crucial. it may happen that your website will be penalty free but it takes lot of time.

Nirav021, Dec 11, 2018 at 3:35 AM IP
  5. Ian Murphy

Ian Murphy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Advices:
    1) Optimize your website, check every description, title etc... Titles and descriptions are unique and right?
    2) Make it mobile friendly. It's important for Google bot.
    3) Build good weblinks. If you have spammy links, then write to websites where they are and ask to delete it.
    4) DA and PA cost nothing. Don't carry about it.
    5) Remember: one good link can earn you more traffic than thousand bad links.
    I think that it's better to leave it and allow to die... Because it's easier to creat new website and attract traffic.

Ian Murphy, Dec 12, 2018 at 3:18 AM IP
  6. GMMC

GMMC Peon

Best Answers:
    Nirav021, it doesn't have a manual penalty and it still gets some visitors so not completely dead and buried. I just can't understand why the map page in particular has been buried when it has quite a lot of natural links to it. People that use this map and link to me come up in image search whereas I am no where to be found. Ian, most of the spammy links are from sites that don't have a contact, scrapper sites and link farms, that is why I am trying disavow. This is my map map, it rank in the top 3 in google for about 10 years and top of images for just as long. http://www.itraveluk.co.uk/maps/england.html then out of the blue bam 0 traffic for that page.

GMMC, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:37 AM IP