1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bring on the Christmas Global Warming!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Dec 23, 2015.

1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Probably, I've done a December in Boston and was very grateful it wasn't stormy.
    I'm imagining all the people with their shiny new resolutions going down the dunny on day #1. We're used to having nice weather so those "get fit" resolutions usually last a week.

sarahk, Dec 31, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the dreaded Global Warming/Climate Change has let me down again. We are in the middle of a Nor'easter and expecting to get 5 - 8 inches of snow. Washington DC and NYC seem to be catching it much worse than us, though. I think they are saying that NYC is going to get two feet of it. I want Al Gore to fly up here in his private jet and shovel my damn driveway tomorrow morning.

jrbiz, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, I was starting to really like this global warming thing as January was warmer than usual and we had no snowstorm. However, a couple of days ago, my carbon dioxide bubble was burst when we had our first significant snowstorm. Where I live we got about seven inches of wet, heavy, sticky snow that was a real pain to shovel or snowblow our way out of. It was so wet and nasty because the temps were right around 32F/0C degrees, and that is also the type of snow that sticks to tree branches.

We were walking the dog in a local park this morning and I observed a tree that I thought would be interesting to the readers of this thread. It is a fir tree in which the left side is clear of snow and dry because it faces the morning sun while its right side is its shade side and is still weighted down by thick snow:

snowtreesm.jpg

So, this tree is experiencing significant global warming on its left side, but not so much on its right side. :)

jrbiz, Feb 7, 2016 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, my hopes for Global Warming have been totally dashed. Overnight the local temperature dropped to -11F/-24C degrees. When you factor in the strong winds that we are also getting, the temps feel like -30F/-34C ("wind chill.") The warnings state that you can get frostbite on exposed skin in five minutes of outdoor exposure at these temperatures.

I will have to go out and get the Sunday paper and pick up fresh baked donuts for the wife and kids (part of their Valentine's Day gift) so I will experience it but, mostly, we will stay inside today grumbling about the lack of global warming. :mad:

jrbiz, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Late update on my previous post. 48 hours after we hit that -11F/-24C low temperature, we hit a high temperature of 58F/14C. New England is famous for sudden weather changes but a swing of that many degrees is about the most that I have ever seen. Fear not, however, it was not too long before we fell back to 32F/0C and have had mostly wintry weather since. Snow is all gone, though.

jrbiz, Feb 21, 2016 IP
  6. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where I live it went from about +39F to -30F in a matter of hours years ago. I drove home when it was warm and slushy and the next morning my car would not start and I could not turn the steering wheel because the slush froze to solid ice around the starter and steering rack. The ice was so hard, thick, and covering everything I could not chip it off with a hammer and chisel. I had to have someone yank my car sideways and then push it back into the garage and I rented a propane heater so I could melt the ice off and drive it.

billzo, Feb 21, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That's a massive swing. And -30F/-34C is seriously cold. I have been out walking in -20F/-28C once and would not want to do that again; cannot fathom -30F/-34C. When it dropped to -11F/-24C last weekend, we lost my daughter's car battery (an old VW bug that sits outside year round) which died and needed to be replaced and the battery in our outdoor thermometer also went dead.

jrbiz, Feb 21, 2016 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, this thread should have been put mercifully out of its misery by not being relevant in April. After all, the calendar has been saying that it is Spring for a couple of weeks now, the Easter Bunny has come and gone, we had several days of 60F/15C + degrees, flowers began to spring up, etc., etc.

Then, yesterday, we get hit with about three inches of snow overnight! It was right around 32F/0C and it appeared as if that temperature would rise with the sun coming out in the early afternoon, so I did not go out and shovel the driveway. Instead, I drove the car over it to make some tire tracks thereby exposing the black driveway enough to soak up the sun's heat and melt the rest of the snow. Worked like a charm.

However, today it has gotten much colder and we are in the midst of another snowstorm which I am likely going to have to go out and clean tonight so that I can get to work early tomorrow morning (can't run the snowblower too early in the morning...) It is supposed to stay at sub-freezing temps through all of tomorrow, so it will not melt away this time.

My dreams of global warming are now dashed beyond repair. I am despairing that the seas will not rise and make my currently landlocked property a beachfront estate. I am also wracked with doubt about New England and its continuing winters turning into a climate closer to sunny Arizona. Where did I go wrong??? I tried burning fossil fuels in my backyard a few months ago. I left the lights on longer than necessary and did not recycle all of my plastic bottles one day. I even, gasp, stepped on the accelerator of my big old American gas-guzzling vehicle to pass a Prius on the highway a month ago! I am at a loss and know not where else to turn. Global Warming, thou hast abandoned me! :(

jrbiz, Apr 4, 2016 IP
    malky66 and sarahk like this.
  9. Zirkon Kalti

Zirkon Kalti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here in Malaysia the sun has got unusually hot that you can get sunburn by just letting the sun shine on you for 1 second. The temperature is around 40 degree celsius everyday in the afternoon.

Zirkon Kalti, Apr 4, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. m.hashir

m.hashir Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    how to prevent global warming

m.hashir, Jun 1, 2016 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Um, I really want to bring on global warming...

You know, "think globally, act locally" kind of thing. Here in New England, a healthy dose of global warming would be a wonderful thing, especially in the winter. I might even end up with beachfront property if the oceans rise enough. Fingers crossed.

jrbiz, Jun 1, 2016 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I think that's way beyond the scope of this forum. There are summits with world leaders.

We're meant to do our bit by driving less and then we see the fumes belched out by factories operating archaic machinery and wonder impact what our little efforts make.
    I'm incredibly sceptical about the whole global warming thing as I've seen the concept flexed and manipulated over the years. The upside is that people from the 80s onward people finally started addressing the impact of humans on the planet. Up until the industrial revolution there was a balance of sorts - we still had cities and waste but we didn't have plastic, exhaust fumes, deforestation and phenomenal population growth like we've had since then.

Ultimately the best thing we could do for the planet is get hit by some major nasty like ebola and reduce our global population to pre-1850s levels but I doubt many of the eco-activists will be volunteering their family and friends to the population cull.

So you won't be buying American seafood or chicken that is processed in China?
    The carbon footprint at it's best.

sarahk, Jun 1, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure. If buying said seafood helps to reduce GHG, then I may not buy it. However, if it increases carbon and/or is neutral, then I am all for it and will encourage my friends and neighbors to do the same. Of course, well-travelled seafood could be quite the delicacy. Any fish that not only has swum under the oceans but also travelled over the oceans, might be especially tasty. :) But I also have doubts that much of that fish makes it here to New England where we have a large fishing industry and processing plants all over the place.

Right now, I am getting the fire pit and barbeque grill ready to begin belching out plumes of smoke all summer long as my small contribution to the effort.

jrbiz, Jun 2, 2016 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Our New Zealand dairy cows have had their farts measured and deemed to be part of the problem too. I'm not sure how you maintain the health of a creature and prevent it from doing what comes naturally. They are, of course, part of the reason deforestation has happened. I can hear you applauding their "smelly pops" from here!

sarahk, Jun 2, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am one with our bovine friends, in this regard. :)

jrbiz, Jun 2, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.