1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Brand New To vBulletin forums...skins? templates?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by brandondrury, Oct 26, 2005.

Hello,

I just installed my first vBulletin template. It appears to be extremely powerful with the limited tinkering I've done with the admin panel. I with all sites, I need to get this thing to match my site very closely. I'm pretty decent at html coding, css, and copying websites but I have no creativity at all in the graphic arts. My homegrown Photoshop designs have tramatized a number of adults.

Anyway, where's a good place to get started? Should I use a prefabbed skin? I look online and found nothing suitable. I want something simple and clean (sort of like this forum), with my header at the top.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Brandon

brandondrury, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  2. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    use the default VB skin as your working template.
    if you need ideas for skins check out the style section over @ vbulletin.org

just-4-teens, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  3. iCreate

iCreate Guest

Best Answers:
    I suggest starting simple. Navigate to the default vBulletin Skin's Images directory, and start by replacing images with those that you like. You can either create them, or there are packs out there.

Then its just a case of learning which part of the templates/css is relevant to what.

F.Y.I. One of the most common questions I get in regards to vBulletin Editing is where can you edit the way a post is displayed. That comes under the templates and basically anything with 'postbit' in the name is related to that.

Good luck and enjoy ;)

iCreate, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  4. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I said "to hell with it" and just started modifying the css on the default skin.

Brandon

brandondrury, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  5. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:

theres also the revert button, if all fails revert it back to how it was in default :)

just-4-teens, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  6. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    When I discovered that I could break vBulletin, I felt a lot more confident about just going in a pushing buttons. An extremely well thought out feature.

Brandon

brandondrury, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  7. KW802

KW802 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Instead of working directly with the default skin I'd recommend making a copy of it as a child style and then playing with the child version instead.

KW802, Nov 3, 2005 IP