1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Boycott DMOZ The Open Directory

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Going Green, Nov 25, 2010.

Please do your part in spreading the word!

Boycott DMOZ the Open Directory.

DMOZ the open directory is not so open anymore. You need no more proof then looking at the lack of volunteers it's category pages and the fact that the existing editors do not respond to emails.

If DMOZ does not welcome new editors freely and your site is not listed in a timely manner then I say Boycott DMOZ and remove any links you may have that point to it's domain.

If DMOZ does not appreciate US then we should not care about DMOZ!

Please link to this Thread.

A former DMOZ editor

Going Green, Nov 25, 2010 IP
    MalaMalas and CReed like this.
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And what do you hope to accomplish? DMOZ doesn't care about you or me; they'll continue on their merry way regardless of what you or I do.

CReed, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  3. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    If that feeling is shared by all, then we do not need DMOZ and we may go on our merry ways without ever thinking about DMOZ again. In time with lack of use by us DMOZ will cease to exist as all things must that no longer have a use or benefit to people.

4. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    and in addition

DMOZ Editors will be more that happy if people stop submitting their sites
    and do what they do the best, grab sites from somewhere else.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  5. Going Green

Best Answers:
    If you do not visit them and I do not visit them then who cares what the list or dont list.

The nees of the many outweigh the needs of the ODP!

6. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Search Engines crawlers

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  7. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What makes you think we needed DMOZ to begin with? Who cares if it exists or doesn't? I go my merry way regardless of what anyone else does.

CReed, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  8. ahsankhan

ahsankhan Peon

Best Answers:
    i do not no why people always have a craze to be listed in dmoz their are many ways to get good repute not only dmoz i had applied for a category editor and a person from dmoz replied me after 58 days with "no" i asked him why he never ever replied i then i send him mail with changed subject and object, that why my site(a site on culture) is not being listed after 72 days of submission? same person replied me "your site do not have quality content" and at that time my website was 3 years old and contains about 12900 pages
    i think Dmoz is going to be part of history

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    ahsankhan, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  9. Going Green

Best Answers:
    We would not be debating this subject otherwise. lol

I think my site is unique, it has information on Buddhism, Hinduism, a video, music to listen to at the surfers option, a blot and a forum plus articles on renwable energy & green living tips. Oy Vey! How much more unique does it need to be?

Perhaps the Gamma editos just want their own sites listed and dont want to share any of the PR juice from THEIR site.

AOL should fire the lot of them and start over with new people!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    Going Green, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  10. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've gone on my merry way and not bothered with DMOZ for years now, Calling for an active boycott would be counterproductive as it will raise awareness when you actually don't want to.

qazu, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  11. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That's easy.

I never use them in the first place! Ha!

usasportstraining, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  12. ahsankhan

ahsankhan Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with you

ahsankhan, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  13. Powelly

Powelly Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol, good luck with that...

Powelly, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  14. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ahhhhhh.....now we know the motivation for the thread. Why the obsession with being listed? It won't increase your traffic, probably won't increase your ranking. You can do just fine without them (I know, my sites do extremely well without being listed there; my sites that are listed there have no advantage over the ones that are not). Is it an ego thing?

CReed, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The only thing that will do is increase their already inflated PR by linking to it when you tell your friends that have no clue what it is to boycott them.

It is my sincerest belief that they have a good alexa rating & PR simply due to the number of people that complain about them! Seriously. 95% of the links I've ever seen to them have been negatively posted...so that has to say something.

By going around telling people to boycot them is simply folly! If you want change, contact Google and complain about how they operate, and how you feel that the big G should NOT be using their data. Google will eventually listen if enough of us complain. Follow that up with trying to contact AOL... but trust me, AOL has all but forgotten about DMOZ, so fat chance finding someone to talk to (and don't bother asking an editor, I tried that)

Qryztufre, Nov 26, 2010 IP
    CReed likes this.
  16. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know my sites would never get approved in dmoz because i read the guidelines so instead of complaining, i went along and found some niche directories to submit to or waste money on. If you don't like dmoz then stop the complaining and focus on the "other" directories that will approve your site within 7 working days.

Just by creating this thread, you are attracting more traffic to Dmoz. Thanks

snakeair, Nov 26, 2010 IP
    MalaMalas likes this.
  17. BB-OM

BB-OM Member

Best Answers:
    Good that "Agent000" is no longer active. Otherwise he would asked you to provide him with proofs for what you've said. lolz...

It is time that people behind the ODP realize that there are good enough resources available all over the web for a website to be popular and rank well even without them. So, they should stop acting pricey.

BB-OM, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  18. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, if you really want to make a dent, then stop dreaming and hit them where it counts.
    DMOZ is violating copyright rule when they demand others to post attribution to what in
    reality is unlawful use of scrapped sites in their index.

If you want to hurt DMOZ, then sue AOL for DMOZ violations and I can promise you DMOZ
    start paying attention to submitted for review sites after they stop under the Court order
    foraging the Internet for copyrighted. You may get lucky and AOL, to avoid day in Court,
    will order DMOZ to follow their existing rules thus paying attention to your site.

You wanna learn more? Read this thread http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1769908

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Nov 26, 2010 IP
    MalaMalas likes this.
  19. Going Green

Best Answers:
    And by replying to this thread your sites, if listed in your Signature, will be getting more traffic too! :)

20. Going Green

Best Answers:
    I do not want to hurt DMOZ. I just think it need new volunteers with new perspectives to run it.

AOL take notice!