1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Book Sale Site

Discussion in 'Websites' started by macdesign, Nov 4, 2004.

http://www.parenting-advice.net/

also see http://www.sarahchanaradcliffe.biz/ which I was playing with as an alternate design

This site was put up some time ago. It's main purpose is to provide a place
    where people can order a specific book. The majority of sales are from people coming to the site directly as a result of other marketing, so most of those people are planning on buying the book, regardless of how the site looks.

I starting putting Adsense on the site about a month ago.

I've been reviewing the traffic to the site, and it seems I get a small but significant number of people that coming to the site as a result of searching for other topics. However, I get next to no purchases from that other traffic.

Most of the traffic ends up coming in from searches that lead to one of the articles on the sites, but very few actually go and look at the sample pages. So I'd like to get those people to click through a little more.

macdesign, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  2. rhinoplayer

rhinoplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    I would put a picture right in the center near the top of the page with several of her guides shown so people know right away that there are books here to purchase that can help them raise their children. I would put a more grabbing (but not dramatic) headline like, 'Here's the Parenting Advice You Need' - (just top of mind example)....but make it grabbing....I know plenty of parents that need HELP!!! This looks like a good site. I would punch up those different topics so they are more visible, either by making a more grabbing menu or listing them under a picture of the guides so people see the options right away.

Good luck!

(I'll check back with the site when I move on from raising Boxers (dogs) to raising children)

rhinoplayer, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  3. sapphiro15

sapphiro15 Peon

Best Answers:
    hello these are my opinions.

for parenting advice, i found the aqua boxes a bit confronting to the eye. so i think i'd advise on something more mellow, but still colourful.

for help i have children, the content just needs to be centred :)

great stuff though!

sapphiro15, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  4. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Hey, would you like a link exchange from a book site which I control?

The URL is www.what-the-dickens.com and it's a rare first edition books site. They also do book sourcing if they don't have the books people are looking for in their catalogue.

Weirfire, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  5. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    macdesign, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Here are a few suggestions:

1) The white coloured site is way too harsh on the eye. Tone down those colours a little. Maybe a little play with this tool will bring some colour inspiration :)
    2) Try and contain the site a little. I'm not saying put a thick black border around the whole thing, maybe just a thin border around the container to enclose it a little. Or if you have Photoshop or a similiar program to play around with, you could try a little drop shadow or something. Like here.
    3) Try and use a little CSS to style individual sections in a particular way. Maybe lower the size of the text in the footer and navigation. You could also change the default colours of the links to something other than that horrible blue.
    4) Try to use text links for your main navigation. It may help with the SE's
    5) Clean up that code. Really, CSS is very easy and it will make the page load a hell of a lot quicker than it does currently.

I think that's most of it for now ;)

Sorry for the site bashing :)

SEbasic, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  7. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep bashing, I can take it. :)

The sites was genarated with Net Objects Fusion, a nice fast rapid development tool, but it generates bloated code.

macdesign, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I can tell ;)

I really think it could do with an overhaul.

SEbasic, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  9. Ber|Art

Ber|Art Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't like your navigation, its too long and not clear for the user, try to make 4-6 main groups and naviagte the rest in subgroups. That way you make the site a bit more usable for the public :) Good luck!

Ber|Art, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  10. truelysam

truelysam Peon

Best Answers:
    simple design
    You can still improve color style by trial and error
    make the layout more tidy

truelysam, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  11. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Cheers for that.