1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

book recommendation for a newbie?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by sapphire, Mar 27, 2006.

I want to learn PHP, but have zero programming experience. Can anyone recommend a good book that assumes no previous knowledge?

sapphire, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  2. woodside

woodside Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this book would be a good one to begin with.

woodside, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  3. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt read books, unless you liek doing so. I hate reading, and the idea of reading a 750 page book based off of only information would kill me.

I myself learned from w3schools.com. They cover the basics you need, and you can advance your skills from there. I also used them to learn alot of css, which is very helpful when used with php.

I am able to create fully modifyable webpages with unique features, without having any trouble at all.

My newest project is www.bizlinked.com which I am still working on, and www.boardingscene.com member pages, which I turned into a myspace type with the help of a few plugins.

Nanofied, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  4. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I purchased some books a few years ago on php & mysql but to be honest, l found myself bored. A couple of years later, I started learning it when I wanted to use it for something useful. It really helps being interested in what you're coding and also knowing that in the end you'll have something useful to look at and use. I'd highly recommend php.net and google.com for answers to problems and example code.

ryan_uk, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  5. sapphire

sapphire Peon

Best Answers:
    Woodside - thanks for the link. That looks like the kind of thing I need! :cool:

Cyk_47, ryan_uk - I do like reading, although tech manuals aren't exactly my idea of a fun read! I'm only interested in that kind of thing if I can learn something of practical value, which I why I was looking for a 'how to' manual, than than something that's more theoretical.
    I'll check out the sites you both mentioned too - it hadn't really occurred to me to look for tutorial type stuff online :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies - very useful :)

sapphire, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I went from LAMP n00b to almost expert in a few months thanks to the PHP Bible. Later picked up some ideas from the Visual Guide or whatever it's called.

PHP Bible may seem daunting due to it's size but it's only that thick because they do such a good job at explaining code line by line.

Highly recommended.

T0PS3O, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  7. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I'm the same. I read a lot but any technical book I've purchased... is just gathering dust.

My first project was a quality management database (for work). I worked with someone else in making it. It was funny because he'd comment his code in Spanish.... which I barely understand a word of... and then I'd have to debug it. :D

Hasta luego, amigos & amigas.

ryan_uk, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  8. rvarcher

rvarcher Peon

Best Answers:
    rvarcher, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  9. falcondriver

falcondriver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

hm i guess i did the same when i coded for someone in australia - didnt really think about it :)

falcondriver, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  10. sapphire

sapphire Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the replies - I've no excuse for not getting started now! :)

sapphire, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  11. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Good luck, sapphire!

ryan_uk, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  12. johnlaiz

johnlaiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    johnlaiz, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  13. nemik

nemik Peon

Best Answers:
    like most other people here, i say forget about books.
    from my experience, the easiest way to learn a programming language is the same as the easiest to learn a people language: immerse yourself in it.

think of an idea you want to make and do it in PHP. work throught it, read tutorials, google, look through the docs and hang out in #php IRC channels on efnet, freenode, or quakenet.

good luck!

nemik, Mar 29, 2006 IP