1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bolton Nomination

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by nevetS, Aug 1, 2005.

So Bush named Bolton U.N. Ambassador today while congress is on recess in order to avoid his rejection by Congress.

Do you think this is a good move or an unethical one?

On the one hand the move is Reagan-esque. On the other, Bush is no Ronald Reagan. Still with a Republican senate, the democrats don't have a lot of recourse outside of future fillibusters or perhaps killing bills in the House.

nevetS, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    low blow if you ask me. He doesn't like the UN, what use is it to place him as the ambassador. There was such a stink about him, all this dirt they dug up about his temper and antics, just to have him snuck through. The more I hear about the bush antics, the less I like them.

Unless you are in the top 1% I am sure you are with me...

ServerUnion, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There was gonna be no rejection in congress. Congress simply decided to "continue debate" to deny the president a confirmation on him. Recess appointments are one of the powers of the president, it was exercised. It's done all the time.

lorien1973, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    eitherway that guy was an a55. Glad to see he will be representing the US since we are all a55es.

ServerUnion, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  5. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad to see someone with some balls go to the UN. Now maybe the UN will start getting back to its roots instead of being a play board for the corrupt.

Good choice bringing Bolton in and it should have happened long ago but certain parts of government have forgotten about the constitution and the way a democracy is supposed to work.

zman, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    "The palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob!" -- Monty Python, The Dead Parrot Sketch

minstrel, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  7. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure that I've heard anything about him being a tough or even a smart politician. Just a prick to the peons around him. I haven't heard about him being weak either. That's the problem with the media - they'll sensationalize anything the RNCC or DNCC wants them to and don't bother informing America on any actually important issues.

nevetS, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  8. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    So what have you heard? I have heard quite the opposite, but then again, I dont watch the news.

zman, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  9. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What are the roots of the UN again? getting stomped in Korea...99% of the time, its an absolutely useless organization.

Bush had an opportunity and exploited it.

I cant stand the man, the GOP, etc...but this is not something to get bent out of shape over. All pols would do the same...

All that said...Bolton sounds like an embarrassment---par for the course. Apparently, he represents this administration's vision well.

ROAR, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  10. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Bolton earned this appointment by helping America in the 2000 election.

"Im with the Bush-Cheney team, and I'm here to stop the count."

Crazy_Rob, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  11. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Again, good to see someone with balls heading to the UN.

zman, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  12. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    'Cause that's what's most important! BIG BALLS baby!!!

Crazy_Rob, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  13. bagman101

bagman101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah - If there's anything that guys with the power to deploy armies need, it's more testosterone! ;)

bagman101, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  14. voltaire

voltaire Banned

Best Answers:
    i think so far, he's a better choice than anyone else.

voltaire, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The U.N. is a szesspool of corrupt old men. What damage could Bolton possibly do?

Blogmaster, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  16. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    That's an interesting statement. I try to stay up do date on politics, but it's difficult to find sources of information that are actually informative. The only person I've ever heard of making any noise at the U.N. was... I think it was Agnew - when he called out Russia. The U.S. has treated the U.N. with a fair amount of ambivolence since maybe 10 or 20 years after Wilson left office - which is strange considering the amount of power we hold there. Bush certainly has been pretty ambivolent and sometimes antagonistic during his term.

Anyhow, the reason I found this interesting was that a non-controversial ambassador should be easy to find, and the job itself rarely requires much in the way of political skill or aptitude - not much beyond what say the top 500 candidtates would have to offer anyways.

A recess appointment has never been used over such a benign position that I can remember. It would seem to me that you would want someone there who the country publicly backs up - so that other countries can have faith in his authority.

All I really know about this guy though is of his "abusive" history, and frankly that doesn't make him a tough guy in my mind, nor does it make him a potential embarrassment either. It just makes me think he's a bit of a weasel who I probably wouldn't like personally. That's usually the kind of guy you make an ambassador - especially if you owe him a political favor or if he was a big campaign contributor.

I don't know about this move though. I guess the choices were to Recess Appoint him or hide him somewhere else and hiding him means that you give the DNC a win.

nevetS, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  17. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Because they wont back us when we want to invade?

Being a bully doesn't seem to be helping us. We need ambassadors to work with our international allies, not someone that hates the organization they have to work with. he is "just a prick to the peons around him". We are just creating more level of distain.

ServerUnion, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  18. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    ServerUnion, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  19. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Amazing how "The UN can't enforce thier own rules because they are too busy trying to make money for themselves" gets interpreted to

zman, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  20. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The UN is the most corrupt institution on the planet.

lorien1973, Aug 2, 2005 IP