1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bolding doesn't work in the search results.

Discussion in 'Google' started by dISEr, May 23, 2004.

Bolding doesn't work for URLs where the first letter of keyword is capital even if the search term was "capitalized".
    Example: http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:Test&start=10
    Look at the URL for "CSS test suites".
    So, if you have keywords in the url/path with the first capital letter, they are not getting highlighted and therefore getting less visible IMHO.

dISEr, May 23, 2004 IP
  2. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this should be narrowed down to ...
    the keyword wont get bolded if it is in the URL as a folder name and it has a capitalization as the first letter.

confusing enough? ;)
    that's what I see.

Such Great Heights, May 23, 2004 IP
  3. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    even lowercase "t" in test does not, but does pick it up in the text... not the url tho.

all my file names are lower case, but always thought lowercase would show on upper case searches... but looks like not always.

vagrant, May 24, 2004 IP
  4. dISEr

dISEr Peon

Best Answers:
    dISEr, May 24, 2004 IP
  5. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    OK I guess you are right, but you keep saying URL which includes the domain name, and I see the domain name bolded. But I guess that is because it is never capitalized.

With Google being as smart as it is, it's hard to say they aren't counting the capitalized folder and filenames as keywords. But you are right when you say they aren't bolded, which makes you'd think Google doesn't see them.

<b>So if you want to be extra sure, just make sure to use lowercase in all your folders and filenames.</b>

Personally I all ready do this, mainly because when someone wants to link to you, they have to remember not just the URL, but that some letters are capitalized, which leads to more 404 errors.

I'd suggest switching all your folders and filenames to all lowercase. But I guess you all ready know that.

Such Great Heights, May 24, 2004 IP
  6. dISEr

dISEr Peon

Best Answers:
    To reorganize the whole site is kind of upsetting.
    Will need to wait for PR recalcs, for SERPs update, etc :(

dISEr, May 24, 2004 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you have used capitals in the first place?

This whole subject has been discussed several times before and on several forums and I think the general consensus has been that the fact that the toolbar highlights word in the text or in the domain or URL doesn't necessarily mean that Google is using, or not using, these terms in their relevence or SERP rankings.

The very fact that the toolbar will highlight a word that is part of a longer and continous phrase suggests that all the toolbar is doing is some type of string search. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that that is what Google is using to decide where to place the page in the SERPs.

To start with, if this was the case, it would mean that Google was relying highly on on-page elements and content and we all know that this is not true. Highlighting has nothing to do with links and anchor text and that is what drives SERP placement.

compar, May 24, 2004 IP
  8. dISEr

dISEr Peon

Best Answers:
    Compar, thanks for response.
    I am talking about google internal highlightings, not toolbar.
    Yes, you are right - I am sure lack of the bold text in SERPs doesn't mean these kewords were not considered by google. Just they are less visible for the end user.

Not sure why have I used capitals. Probably because I have authors names there.

dISEr, May 24, 2004 IP