1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blogs and forums

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by macdesign, Mar 19, 2005.

I have some sites with forums and I have a couple of blogs on dedicated blog services. I'm now considering adding a blog onto a site that is mostly a forum.

The forum [which is so new I have no members] allows any registered member to post.
    The blog will only contain entries from me and some other associates, it may or may not allow registered members to add comments, I'm not sure yet.

One part of me thinks it's a good idea, by posting in the blog, I start creating content and Google indexes it and it attracts new members.

The other part of me says it's redundant and confusing to have both a blog and forum.

macdesign, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  2. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi macdesign,

I'm wondering the same thing only backwards. :confused:

I just launched an Affiliate Marketing and SEO blog network packed with the best blogs and super SE optimized and know it's going to pull lots of good traffic once everything gets indexed. Just launched it last weekend and my traffic is more than doubling every day.

But I have also been wanting to launch a forum. I mod several though and know what a pain it can been to mod spammers and flamers and don't know if I want to deal with it. Blogging is nice cuz you don't have to let anyone reply if you don't want to. Yet I think forums can be much stickier.

I'll keep on eye on this thread to see if we get any good advice.

5starAffiliates, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  3. dakar

dakar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Doing the same thing, the forums are at the root of the domain and blog as a subdomain. I try to randomly use a few keywords in the blog with several links back to the fourms. It seems to be helping things a little, traffic is picking up a bit. The biggest problem is the domain is 6 months old and fighting the sandbox effect, page counts continually vary from 900 one day to 3000 the next.

dakar, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  4. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I did this exact same thing - primary domain is a forum and I set up a sub domain as a blog.

I've been running with this setup for about 2 months and results, so far, have been great. The posts/articles on the blog stir up conversation in the forum among existing members, and, I've noticed that a lot of "fresh" traffic is hitting the blog first then heading to the forum to comment on the articles/posts in the blog. I think a forum/blog compliment each other very well if setup and maintained properly.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think a blog should be like your company's newsfeed. You can give people info and updates and even though they won't be able to respond directly, you should add a link to a forum section where people can comment about it.
    That will keep your blog your own voice and will encourage people to post in your forum as well .... just MO

Blogmaster, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  6. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Readers can always leave comments, I have a few ongoing dialogs with blog comments, which can be a bit strange. I was just wondering why they wanted me to check their poker site :rolleyes:

dct, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  7. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Checked some logs

First site - 3 out of 185,087 hits
    Second site - 1 out of 167,081

Doesn't help me much

macdesign, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Does it make a difference if it is "part of the site", not really because you can link to any site you wish from your forum or your blog.

So you have a blog that links to your forum or a forum that links to your blog, what is the difference :confused:

GFC has a good idea that might be good if you combine the sites, just use a sub-domain for the blog or the forum and it could help your SERP's :eek:

anthonycea, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  9. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    5starAffiliates, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  10. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    ***IGNORE my previous post - Checked some logs ..... wrong thread :mad:

macdesign, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager