1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

bloggers ... new to blogging ... what app to use for SEO reasons?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by skattabrain, May 10, 2005.

hello bloggers,

i've decided i get into this now ... i have wordpress and several other apps built into my control panel.

is there any benefit to using these or some web based service? specifically for getting google love.

i'd like to a have a subdomain for the blog, but also snag headlines and quick paragraphs for the main home page of my site.

ideas are welcomed and appreciated!

new to blogging, but seasoned to seo and programming.

thanks!

skattabrain, May 10, 2005 IP
  2. saintdw

saintdw Peon

Best Answers:
    Word press has the static looking links for all the posts.

I like it.

saintdw, May 10, 2005 IP
  3. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    If you desire to receive Google love I suggest you mimic Google's own Blog. I did and my Blog’s are shooting to the top.

1) H1 tag for every heading

2) 12pt Aril type

3) Permanent link of each Blog entry

4) Time and date stamp

5) Credit for writer

6) Blog set left side and Archive navigation to the right

bigdoug, May 10, 2005 IP
  4. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    insteresting, should I just use their service? i do want to include my blogs on my home page though (my home page won't be the blogger home page)

skattabrain, May 10, 2005 IP
  5. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    I like wordpress.. the permalink structure through htaccess works very well for me SEO wise.

Its also great all around software.

Josh

Josh, May 10, 2005 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've used a few and I'm very impressed by WordPress, check my blog above and see how I've set up the permalinks. Works for me and I've had some very interesting results where I've outranked the sites I'm discussing!

I'd stay away from blogger, control is very important and you don't have it with blogger.

And make sure you register your blog here. You automatically get X number of updating inbound links - its a win=win situation, his old pages get fresh content too :)

Sarah

sarahk, May 10, 2005 IP
  7. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Either Wordpress or Moveable Type. I like them both. Wordpress is free, but so is Movable Type for a personal license. (gets to be paid for things like unlimited authors and commercial blogs).

If you are going to be running a dynamic blog with mod-rewrite, wordpress seems to function better. My moveable type blog is actual static links - and it generates the files for me. The MT php engine seems to be a little problematic.

MoveableType's MTBlacklist plugin is crazy good at killing spam comments. Wordpress' functionality is pretty good too, you just have to add a few poker keywords to their list and you'll be fine.

nevetS, May 11, 2005 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:

SEbasic, May 11, 2005 IP
  9. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    my domain blog had 20 visits from the g00glebot yesterday and it's only PR4. U think I would get the same number of visits if my blog was made with a WordPress or Movable Type?

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, May 11, 2005 IP
  10. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    googlebot activity has nothing to do with high serps.(i ashould say on it's own ... it's a characteristic of a well ranking site though)

ask anyone with a aws. the bot practically takes your site down ... often. but that doesn't mean you will score highly.

skattabrain, May 12, 2005 IP
  11. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just secured a solid domain name in mycityseo.com. Signed up for some cheap web hosting and installed WordPress. Hence, my blog was born. I'm looking to do the same thing, so this thread is helpful. I just wrote my first "blog". :eek: Anyone out there using blogs to secure SERP's for local SEO? I'd like to rise in the rankings for my city & SEO. I figure the domain and a good blog will be a good start.

I'm still figuring out the structure of WordPress. I use Mambo for my main site - which is a portal more than a blog. I'd be interested to see how you are linking internally/externally to maximize your search results.

I figure that I'll place a link on my PR4 site to get a Google visit --- any suggestions on when I should do this? How many articles do I need to make it a "legit" site. I also plan on adding Adsense. Same question, at what point should I sign up?

TIA
    Chris

cmeinck, May 12, 2005 IP
  12. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    The question here is not how frequently your blog has been crawled, but how well it actually performs...

I have a blogger blog that gets maybe 2 or 3 GB crawls a week... The engine doesn't matter.

SEbasic, May 13, 2005 IP