1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blogger: The worst tool from Google?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Infiniterb, Apr 14, 2005.

Is it just me, or are there many little annoyances within Blogger?
    • Copy/Pasting passages of text removes natural line breaks.
    • The updating (republishing) hangs at times
    • Can't logon at peak times (servers being down)
    I know there are more, I'm just too tired to think of them. I don't mind the hanging or the logging on at peak times since normally I'm at work then, and server hardware will likely be upgraded in the future, however does someone know how to fix the formatting issue with line breaks? What I mean is, when I copy a passage of text and I paste it into the blogger WYSIWYG editor, all the line breaks are stripped away and I get one big blob of text. I then have to manually go through each line and find where the break is supposed to be, hit enter, and continue to do this until the post looks like the way I want it. I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed this issue.

Edit: looks like I figured it out. Apparently if you copy/paste a passage of text within the HTML tab (not compose) the line breaks retain themselves. That's pretty stupid IMO.

Infiniterb, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It definitely has its quirks...

I haven't tried other blogging programs though. Don't know if there are others that are better...

minstrel, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress is the king... (IMO)

NewComputer, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  4. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I've heard WP is king, but I like the idea of blogger, and just wish they'd fix the quirks.

Since it's owned by Google, I'm going to give them some time to work out the various quirks. I know they can fix them, it just is a matter of when I suppose.

Infiniterb, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would highly recommend WP. You will find it similar to Blogger, but without the hassle...

NewComputer, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  6. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty happy with blogger.

onestop, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  7. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I like b2evolution. Is there any chance of getting the signature blogs in the profile to use this as well as Blogger, Movable Type and WordPress?

egdcltd, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Blogger gets on my nerves with many things.

Select a word and make it a link, then keep typing and everything will remain hyperlinked from where you continued typing. So you have to type a space first, go back one character select the word, hyperlink it, go back to after the space and continue typing.

Also the double line breaks. And if you start off with say large font as a header, then unclick large font and give it an enter to start the body, you basically do a line break before the </span> so everything will stay large. Switch to html mode, move </span> and go back :( Bloody annoying.

Hello from Picasa sucks in a way too. It's nice as a free pic hosting service but you can;t remove them after publishing and send one to bloggerbot result in a live publish right away instead of staying a draft until you added some text. How stupid is that? So now I have to send it in Hello. Quickly log in, delete the post but copy the img string first. Then past that in an apppropriate post.

Booooooooooooooooooring!

T0PS3O, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I use WP and Blogger.

Blogger sucks in comparison. I end up having to do so much more work in order to get sites the way I want.

Just a pain...

SEbasic, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The drawback to WordPress is it requires a MySQL database. That may be a problem for some people. With Blogger, blogger.com takes care of that for you.

But I agree there are quirks -- knowing a bit of html and going into html mode helps but it shouldn't be necessary. On the other hand, it's a free service and it's not an open source project so I don't know how much time Google is willing to devote to improving it -- I would guess the same is true for Picasa and Hello.

minstrel, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    There are more and more people commenting on the problems with blogger these days.

With Yahoo releasing an alternative shortly (Along with the aquisition of six apart) I would say Google have to get their act together pretty quickly.

seo-dev will be moving over to WP once I move the hosting. I've had enough of blogger. (I just need to find a way to import the blogger comments).

SEbasic, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  12. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    antonaf, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  13. PlanetAndrea

PlanetAndrea Active Member

Best Answers:
    i just started using blogger, i like the layouts, however the photo uploading tool they recommend (hello w/picasa) has given me numerous headaches, i finally went with www.photobucket.com, seems to be working nicely!

PlanetAndrea, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm not surprised -- haven't tried Hello but Picasa is a slug and it leaves little .ini files all over your hard drive when you uninstall it :mad:

minstrel, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  15. PlanetAndrea

PlanetAndrea Active Member

Best Answers:
    well haven't had to uninstall yet, although i don't like how picasa automatically updates and scans your system for new files, i'm sure there's settings that need to be changed but i haven't put any time into it. i also wish it wouldn't look for .avi and mpeg either, now i constantly have to filter out everything!

PlanetAndrea, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  16. mrs.pinksox

mrs.pinksox Peon

Best Answers:
    I use blogger but dont like it (only do it for the SEO thing). Yes it does have problems. My fav blogplace is tblog.com (gets a ton of traffic and has high link popularity quick!) I also use blogster.com which is pretty primitive and seo-blog.com which i just started and was down the second day i used it and isnt very flexible at all. Trying out some others...blog..blog...blog.....blogging away........

mrs.pinksox, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Modern signs of spring :D

"When the red red robin comes blog blog blogging along..."

minstrel, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  18. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    It would be nice if someone stepped up to the plate and put all of the things people have been saying they want in a blogging platform. I use Blogger to manage a few blogs and I love that I can do that from one, web-based location. But, their down-time and formatting issues are a headache. If WP would just make a multi-blog solution (a real one) already I would just move everything over to their setup. I use it on my personal blog and I really like it.

chachi, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  19. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I tried Blogger but switched because it was too slow. Downtime was a real anoyance.

CanadianEh, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  20. JonahViaKeyboard

JonahViaKeyboard Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a MovableType junkie all the way. My biggest blogger complaint is that there aren't categories. Check out MT - they have a free limited license. It takes a tiny bit of effort to install it, but the customization is unbelievable. Also - you need your own hosting account.

JonahViaKeyboard, Apr 25, 2005 IP