1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blogger Comments

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by ViciousSummer, May 23, 2005.

When you post a comment on a Blogger blog your user name is displayed with your comment and your user name is hyperlinked to your blogger profile. Is there any way to change it so that your user name links to your actual blog instead? or is that Bloggers way of preventing blog spam?

For those of you that don't use blogger, you can see and example of what I'm talking about on one of my blog posts, here:

http://www.viciousenterprises.com/summersblog/2005/05/hooked-f-up-apple-rocks.html

ViciousSummer, May 23, 2005 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it's a tag in your template that you can change. However that won't help you much if you post comments on others' blogs since the blog owner would need to change it.

Perhaps make a suggestion to Blogger? They're doing some user testing from what I hear at Google HQ, so I'm sure they are still refining things and could perhaps add that, though I do think that by linking to the profile it's better from a usability stand point.

Infiniterb, May 23, 2005 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    So far as I know you can't change it... It's a pain unfortunatley.

Go WordPress! ;)

SEbasic, May 23, 2005 IP
  4. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I think it always links to the Blogger Profile, even when you change it. It used to be that it would link to wherever you pointed it to, hence the ugliness of my comment tag, but when Blogger was overhauled a few months ago it all started to change.

<edit>Hmmm, I just checked and it's pointing to the link I installed instead of blogger profile. Now all I have to do is try to remember how I did it. :eek:

mcfox, May 23, 2005 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Ah, got it. Man, I amaze myself sometimes. In your Blogger profile, accessible from the dashboard, the entry; "Display Name" can be altered with <a href .

mcfox, May 23, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  6. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    I have yet to figure it out. I also would much prefer to link to my site rather than my profile when posting comments.

The way I get around it now is by posting anonymously and adding a link to my website at the end of my comment post. This doesn't always work, however, because some people have linking turned off for the comments section of their blog.

If you find out how it's done please let us know!

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, May 23, 2005 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    HUH?!

Didn't you read my post? The one directly above yours that explains exactly how to alter it so you can link directly to whatever you want. Obviously not. :rolleyes:

mcfox, May 23, 2005 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Ah ha! Awesome tip. The only thing is that when I enter my blog url: "The value has exceeded the maximum length". Damn, that sucks. Is there any way to get around that? :p

ViciousSummer, May 23, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Not that I know of, I always wind up having to cut out some of the text I have initially created.

Blogmaster, May 23, 2005 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    To all those that didn't understand how to do it, you can always click "other" and then enter the url and name you wish to have displayed. Of course, if you want a better solution, read above and fix it :)

Blogmaster, May 26, 2005 IP