1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Vs Stand Alone Website. Which will get ranked better.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by kaiser2011, Sep 12, 2010.

I want to build a site which involves hosting streaming links for a TV channel. Previously i made it on wordpress, a blog ( basically putting main information on the main blog post. And the permanent link on a page ( set up through iframe )

What i used to do was write a new post now and then about upcoming show and that was that.

My question was, if i stop updating the blog, will the ranking be affected. I have a heard a lot that you need to keep updating the blog so it ranks better.

What if instead of making a blog, i just put on a html site with good keywords on it. Problem will be that i wont be updating it because once i have set up the iframe, i don't really need to update anything.

Is there a difference on how a blog and a normal html site gets indexed. (Perhaps google expects a blog to be updated more thus only preferring results from a regularly updated post)

P.S: Not hosting links for shows/movies or anything.

kaiser2011, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  2. stevendowning

stevendowning Peon

Best Answers:
    Well as per Google you may Update your Blog once in a Week with Fresh Content.. And ranking is depends on the Keyword and the Title Tag.. If your Blog wasn't free the just Optimized your Blog with this.. But with Free blog is hard to get the Rank....

stevendowning, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  3. DoA

DoA Peon

Best Answers:
    Ranking doesn't depend on the software of the site. The reason blogs are thought to rank better is because they have good internal linking structures as standard (can be replicated) and in general they get updated with high quality (read: original) content more regularly than a standard site ... they therefore draw more inbound links.

A blog that is never updated will rank equally as well (badly) as a static html page that never gets updated.

DoA, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  4. soma56

soma56 Guest

Best Answers:
    Generally speaking, if you have a new domain compared to a higher quality web 2.0 site (blog), then I believe the blog would rank better. Your best best is to be consistent with adding new content.

Better yet, why not try both and you'll be able to compare rankings directly!

soma56, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  5. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you can get a lot of unwanted indexed pages with CMS's (tags, categories, plugins) and I have seen certain plugins hurt pageload speed. That being said, G has gotten better at working with WordPress. But to answer the question at hand: it totally depends on your on-page SEO, back links, and competition.

Brad Callen, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  6. dearali

dearali Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It does not really matter what type of tool/software you are using .It all depends how you done ur seo on the page for a given keyword,Including title,title description,page content,back links and quality of back links,anchor text used in back links.

dearali, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  7. skyhighlnkr

skyhighlnkr Peon

Best Answers:
    For me it doesn't depend on On-page, SEO, backlinks and competition..it depend on your Content---CONTENT IS KING...

skyhighlnkr, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  8. desperateboy

desperateboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Both needed continuous efforts but in a different manner. Blog needs updation and website required backlinks. Choice is yours.

desperateboy, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  9. JoomlaDesigner

JoomlaDesigner Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does not matter... What matters is content, SEO friendliness of your website and targeted promotions..

JoomlaDesigner, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  10. 3glogic

3glogic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Kaiser2011, the purpose of both blog and site are totally different. In your case i recommended you to create a site which will be useful for you. It is not a good idea to choose a blog every time you do not have any new info to update there.

3glogic, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  11. Yaniman

Yaniman Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said.

@Kaiser Anyway I prefer you to have a website integrated with a wordpress blog.

Yaniman, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  12. Gareth_Boyd

Gareth_Boyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For me blogs work so well, Wordpress & Google just works like a charm. But I guess that is just for me then.

Gareth_Boyd, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  13. kaiser2011

kaiser2011 Member

Best Answers:

Is this true ? Static Html sites usually dont get updated often unless some upgrade or information change.
    Ofcourse back links are needed to get rankings up. Along with SEO and keywords.

My question was whether blog have a different preference compared to html sites. Since blog are something that you have to write and update, will Big G expect a blog to have new content every week other wise drop its ranking.

Html Static sites cant be updated like blogs so there must be a different ranking system for them right ?

kaiser2011, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  14. Gareth_Boyd

Gareth_Boyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The 'Big G' usually visits blogs more often due to RSS feeds, them normally being updated regularly, but that doesn't mean it'll happen the same to you if you make a blog.

Gareth_Boyd, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  15. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use nothing but Wordpress for all of my sites and all of my customer sites now.

An example, I started a Wordpress based site on 'writing' and within 10 days, it has already appeared in the Serps. Some of this is down to the fact it is a blog and how they are updated but partly to do with the content.

There is another point to remember here. A Wordpress site is so much more straightforward to build and update that when you do make them, you tend to do more because there is less effort. the less effort and the more content, the better for Google!

I built a 100 page site in just 4 hours and populated 25 of those pages in an additional 2 hours.

Life is a Wordpress blog :D

iNET SEO, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  16. satyenhacks

satyenhacks Active Member

Best Answers:
    a thing a perfet website will be better than a blog..

satyenhacks, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  17. Chris9288

Chris9288 Member

Best Answers:
    Better unique content is that which will help you to get ranking.

Chris9288, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  18. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you know what you are doing, you can build perfect websites out of a blog. Just use pages rather than posts :) I have been doing this for over a year now with amazing success! :)

iNET SEO, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  19. chartpoppers

chartpoppers Peon

Best Answers:
    I too think that's quite difficult to get rank through free blog.But you can update it on regular basis with unique contents and start optimizing it.

chartpoppers, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  20. dealsghost

dealsghost Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally depend on seo keywords and content. But as blogs do seo and keyword generation, even url generation in a more search engine friendly manner so chances for them getting a better rating is more.

dealsghost, Sep 13, 2010 IP