1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Marketing

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by msaad, Aug 26, 2004.

Hi...
    I am considering starting my blog. I Was just wondering. What are the tricks people do to make their blogs very popular? I don't want to end up with a blog where nobody will be reading but me! :)

msaad, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Add the XML feed for it to your account here under the UserCP (under Edit Options), then everyone in the world will read it. :) (just kidding of course)

digitalpoint, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    If you figure out how to do it, let me know would ya? I'd like to know as well :confused:

mopacfan, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  4. Kings

Kings Peon

Best Answers:
    Write about interesting subjects, and people will start reading your blog. It's as simple as that ;)

Of course, there's a few things you can do. Submit your blog to all the Blog Directories, stick to one focused subject and make sure you have all the blog features (i.e. RSS feeds, comments, trackback, etc).

Kings, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO a blog is like an online newspaper or magazine…people will read it if they are interested in the topics you're writing on.

Just like any other site you need to find ways to promote your blog online. I don't think there's any "secret" that can instantly position your blog as "successful".

Set goals for yourself and your blog & judge yourself against your progress on meeting those goals.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  6. JennyFine

JennyFine Guest

Best Answers:
    If you're considering starting a blog that relates to your business ( online), try to avoid strong marketing hype. Blogs are good because they personalize your business but they only do it if you support the candid, informal style. If however, you intend to use it for promotion of whatever you want to promote, make it subtle, so that not to scare everyone away.

Also it might be a good idea to start different kinds of contests from time to time: they generate a lot of interest.

JennyFine, Aug 30, 2004 IP
  7. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a My Yahoo account, you can add your site there, which gets you into their listings of RSS sites. They update it based on how often you historically have updated your blog, and other people can add it to their My Yahoo pages if they like it.

To add it, go to Choose Content and you should be able to figure out how to add your link from there.

stephfoster, Aug 30, 2004 IP
  8. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Does anyone actually read other blogs? I struggle to find enough time just to keep up-to-date with forums, and don't read any blogs anywhere.

nadlay, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  9. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    there are numerous directories you can submit your blog to - find a few, and post links on some more active blogs.

david_sakh, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I do. There are some great ones out there on just about every topic if you look hard enough.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  11. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    I pretty much only read blogs if one comes up in a search.

Probably if you talk a lot about unique things, people will find you. For example, I was doing a search for some information about law school and found a blog for a guy who goes to the same law school as I do. He has a bit more limited of a potential audience, but at least people may find his blog.

jebby, Sep 12, 2004 IP
  12. sixcorp

sixcorp Guest

Best Answers:
    What are you going to BLOG about? That's the primary thing that matters.

Is it controversial or political?

If you're going to start a blog about knitting you can kiss traffic goodbye :)

sixcorp, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  13. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    What's wrong with knitting? If you can get all the grandmas online to read it, you are set!

caroline, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  14. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest hosting it on your own site. I have mine at http://blogger.thinkbling.com The reason for this is because you want to add the content to your own site instead of adding it to Blogger or Blogspot.

Make sure you make your xml feed available and that there is a link to it.

Add your blog to blog directories and/or blog aggregating site.

Lastly, add it to forums like this that show your most recent blog title in your posts, although I believe that DigitalPoint is one of the original implementers of this.

Help Desk, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  15. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Find out who the popular bloggers are on your topic or close to, and do a post about their blog, make some positive comments. Make sure you have a pumping blog with good content. Then email them and just let them know you enjoy reading their blog and here is the address for your's if they are interested. If you are lucky they may post about your blog.

I read http://thehomelessguy.blogspot.com/ when I have time. This guy has a lot of interesting things to say and shares a lot about how he is going. So I like to check in every now and then to read his blog. BTW it's in the top 10 for a g search on 'homeless' so pretty easy for everyone to find. He has been blogging for a few years, but recently went off-line and didn't reconnect his old archives.

Other than that it's good old fashioned sem, getting listed in searches, directories etc.

Dominic, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  16. eitemiller

eitemiller Peon

Best Answers:
    When I started bloggin a few months back, i was kinda doing it just to keep notes concerning our website. If I changed text, if Gbot hit us hard, our best day for unique hits, etc. Didn't expect people to read it, nor did I care. But a few peeps do, and I found one guy who links his blog to mine. I do stop by to read the G Blog - and i guess Y has one now too.

eitemiller, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  17. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    misohoni, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  18. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    just be yourself - write often - get an RSS feed - read other bloggers and link to them - comment (genuinely) on others blogs - submit your site to search engines, directories - optimize it for SEs (like you would any other site) - define your boundaries (I like niche topics best) - have fun - don't take yourself too seriously.

I could go on....

oziii, Nov 26, 2004 IP
  19. HansV

HansV Peon

Best Answers:
    My site is a blog style website. But for promotion the following steps I would recommend:

First don't expect to much from submitting your rss feed to things like feedster, etc... but yes sumbit to tha mayor ones like technirati, Syndic8 etc.. and make it a habbit to ping them after an update. Automaticly ( as in Movable type or manualy with http://pingomatic.com/.

Submit just like normal site to all the directories and searchengines.

The great advantage in blogging is the easy linking. If you do have original content. Use bloglinker or other ones you like. But start making link exchanges with blogs that have related content.

Update often, or your visitors will not come again.

my 2 cts..

Hans

HansV, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  20. JonahViaKeyboard

JonahViaKeyboard Peon

Best Answers:
    The pitfall of new bloggers is not theming a blog. Readers are not interested in your day to day, and there are so many journal style blogs out there that already get very little traffic.

If you look at the successful 'professional' blog publishers like Gawker Media and Weblogs Inc, they've all themed the blogs in their network, and the authors rarely deviate from their given topic.

JonahViaKeyboard, Dec 15, 2004 IP