1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Hosting Question

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by celt, Mar 19, 2005.

Can someone explain to me what the advantages and disadvantages are of hosting a blog at for example blogspot.com versus my own domain?

celt, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    OK, hosting a blog at your own domain...

- Disadvantages:

• you will probably have to pay for domain name & hosting

+ Advantages:

• you will have complete flexibility
    • you have the option of having more than just a blog - add a forum later etc
    • any add-ons you or your ISP can provide
    • you should be able to tinker with the server settings and therefore get the co-op ad network running
    • if you're doing a professional blog i.e. a themed blog with the intention of doing business form it, your own domain name will appear more professional /acceptable
    • removal of the word "blogspot" may well be helpful from an SEO point of view too

You don't think I'm a little biased do you? :)

Seriously though, it depends on what you want to do with your blog...

Lever, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  3. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a professional real estate website from which we do business. I just started a blog to provide interesting bits of background information on buying and owning property in Spain. Something of a more general interest, but with lots of links back to our website. I thought that from a SEO point of view it would help my website, if the links from the blog come from a different domain? Would it be better to have a new, separate domain for my blog?

celt, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  4. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Any time your own domain gives more professional and serious look. Also as mentioned above it gives great felexibility in selecting the theme and layout on your own.

NeoGen, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  5. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    i would go for a new domain but related - e.g. domain.com and domainblog.com... :)

daboss, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  6. justtara

justtara Peon

Best Answers:
    Typepad is very SE Friendly. It does add more back links to my main sites too. Typepad send sout instant pings when you update your blog. I was bit hesistant about using a blog hosted at another site. It made me think back to the days when I paid $5.95 a month to host my site a geocities. I have been very impressed with type pad in the few weeks that I have actually been using it.

justtara, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  7. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as SEO friendliness is concerned, I figured that a blog service owned by Google would be Google-friendly. I also hoped that Google would be inclined to attribute nice pageranks to blogs within its blogspot domain, and do it quickly. Tell me if I'm dreaming...

Instead of hosting my blog at a separate domain, I assume I could also host it at a subdomain. That would give me most of the advantages of hosting it at my own domain (eg flexibility, possibility to add a forum, run co-op ads, professional look), but would that be a wise choice from a SEO point of view? Won't back links from a completely different domain be more valuable than back links from a subdomain?

I don't mind paying for any of the alternatives, like Typepad or hosting of a second domain, but I would like to be able to make an educated choice for the best option for me.

celt, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  8. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    I just installed Wordpress for my parent's travel journal and was impressed with the permalink capability... don't know about Typepad or any others.

Eric

LinkBliss, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  9. TopSpin

TopSpin Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there any merit to having your blog hosted outside your own domain (on a different server, on a different bank of IP addresses) as a method of providing some cross-linking? Increasing PR? Just a thought.

TopSpin, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  10. redking

redking Member

Best Answers:
    Don't see anything wrong with this.... The blog is updated daily (maybe more often) and might get more visitors than other parts of a website. If your blog is really popular it might make more sense to host it on another server. :D

redking, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  11. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That was my thinking when I signed up for blogs at blogger and opera.

So, I guess it depends on your goal. If your goal is to use your blog to get backlinks and PR, then hosting it at a free blog site is the way to go.

If, on the other hand, your goal is to get traffic to the site and actualy develop the blog, then you have some thinking to do. Not many people really care whether your domain is "mydomain.blogspot.com" or "www.mydomain.com" so it really comes down to ... is it worth paying for hosting to get rid of the obligitory advertizing that comes when you host it with google / opera / ...

ziandra, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  12. Boston_JM

Boston_JM Peon

Best Answers:
    another thing i have heard is that at blogger it only takes PR it does not pass it is this true ?

Boston_JM, Apr 4, 2005 IP