1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Etiquette & Copyright

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by SmartMoney, Mar 18, 2005.

I'm noticing that there are blogs like this guy who, for virtually all of there posts, only grab a paragraph or two from another website and adds a link back to the other site. He has won awards for having a great business blog but he creates very little actual content.

Is this ethical? Is it good business? What are the copyright laws around harvesting content or even snippets from someone else's site?

thanks,

Jon

SmartMoney, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  2. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    HA! That's better than this:

dcraremac/\blogspot.com/\
    jewelryc/\blogspot/\com

Just click next blog. You'll get one of these every 7 or so.

flawebworks, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  3. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    those are niiiiice. I think I am going to post a comment on there and see if anyone is home

chachi, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  4. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    I've done this with one of my forums. It's perfectly OK as long as you a) get permission b) give proper credit to the author and c) link to the website where the original work exists. Most authors love the extra attention so they invariably say yes as long as they get their name in lights.

It's a smart and easy way to get free content, IMO. Play by the rules and everybody wins.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  5. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    unbelievable.

mxlabs, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  6. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    Just copying somebody else's work is pretty chincy, IMO. However, I don't see anything wrong with opining on a subject while citing references from elsewhere.

BigEasy, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  7. mck9235

mck9235 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would only take someones content (meaning a paragraph or more) if I had actual permission from the webmaster. If I am quoting a line or two I will just put there name there, and if they do ask me to remove it I will. If the webmaster does have a copyright notice or such saying that he doesn't want any part to be reproduced without permission I wouldn't even quote the couple of lines.

mck9235, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  8. justtara

justtara Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see what it wrong with doing this. It sounds like this guy has taken the time to research articles which may be helpful to others. He is probably also helping these sites in with SEO if he is using good anchor text for the links. He could be a little more careful to give the orginal authors credit though.

justtara, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  9. discrete298

discrete298 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would allow my posts to be copied to other blogs as long as the other blogger adds some of her comments and a link to my blog.

discrete298, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  10. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not a lawyer but I do recall something called the "fair use doctrine" in copyright which allows you to quote pieces of a copyright work without violating the copyright.

A quick google turned up http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html which seems support what I remember.

ziandra, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I agree. It seems within the legal limits to me. Needless to saying that the purpose behind doing so is not very ethical and revolves around the creation of artifical content for search engines.

Blogmaster, Apr 2, 2005 IP