1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Content

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Hecky, May 29, 2007.

?

What do you do after you have run out of things to write about?

1. Keep looking around for things to write about, related.

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Go completely off topic

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Go to another aspect, or subject related to this topic

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  4. Do not write any more and start a new blog

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but I have no competiton, it's the only shoutcast blog as far as I see :)

Hecky, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  2. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a holiday blog, which I don't have time to much content on it, so I have a writer who writes blog posts on it daily, and this has boosted it no end in the search engines.

DarrenC, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  3. waffles

waffles Peon

Best Answers:
    I also have a radio site, although mine is one where I broadcast my own show. Since it's recorded in my school's radio station I can't really do anything over the summer. Instead, I've decided to review other blogs similar to mine.

You could go the same route as that. People tend to link back to you if you've given them free links and reviews, so you get the added benefit that that provides.

waffles, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  4. Hecky

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but I'm note sure that's content people would really read.

Tell me more about the school recording radio? :)

Hecky, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  5. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I really don't think you are opening your mind here.
    I listen to online radio religiously. There are thousands of them all over the world. Thousands.
    I write similar blog, in that it is a very targeted niche, but I never run out of things to talk about.

The first thing I did when I started is to contact people whose information I was interested in, and ask for them to keep me updated.
    DJ's, Artists Management, Night Clubs, Record Labels, etc. etc. so now I have a steady inflow of information in my email box everyday.

The second thing is. From the beginning my blog was to be Global, and I write posts all the time about Dance Music in up and coming markets, like India, S.Africa, The Mid East. where ever the story is coming from.

Third, in keeping with that I made sure to install the translator plug in so it can be read in the countries that I am writing about.

Fourth, I started from the beginning wanting to encompass everything about dance music, and it's most popular forms, and I occasionally do flash back articles from some pioneers in the field.

I looked at your blog, and the most pressing issue in internet radio right now is the increase in fees being proposed by Washington. It's all over web stations, yet I didn't see one thing on your site about it. (www.savenetradio.org)
    There is/was weeks of stories and updates right there alone.

As I said you are not being creative.
    Internet Radio encompasses so much, Including Every music format, independent artists, Political stations in every country in the world, there are a ton of things to write about everyday, but you have to go out and look for them, and make yourself known to the industry that you are looking to promote their information, and most of them will send you stuff regularly.

I also noticed that you didn't have a contact form. Every now and then, when I am at a lost for words, somebody will fill out the form and send me information on something that they are promoting, and ask me to plug it.

Lastly, I set Google news to send me rss for the key words that I write about (House Music, Trance Music, Night Clubs, etc). At least if a story comes up, it will give me a direction to go to get the complete picture to write about it.

There is no way that you can come up with a post a day every day by yourself, any more than I can, and I have been listening to House Music and Working in Clubs for 15 years.

You have to look at where the information is coming from and ask for it, and ask others to send it to you.

Also, sign up to industry and station mailing lists. They will bombard you with their stuff every week.

Check out my Music site (www.124bpms.com). It's only 60 days old, but I am not at a loss for words.And I get at least 30 emails a day from people clubs, promoters, even charity events that are hosting something Dance Music, or Night Life related.

You have to seek it out, and ask for it. That is the only way to keep it going, or you will burn out of info real quick.

Hope this helps.

OH YEAH!! And you don't have a radio plugin or script. There are tons of them, so your readers can actually PLAY, some internet radio for your site!
    Here is one i was using. I took it off to restructure some navigation, but I will l have back up soon.
    This one may be a little dance heavy, but they are out there.
    http://streamsradio.com/
    You can embed the player tight into your page.

I don't know if you use iTunes, but they have a wealth of internet radio stations.

I would also branch off into podcasts also...a whole 'nother , but similar subject matter.
    These tips should keep you going for months, and soon enough you will get info sent to you, instead of having to search everyday.

hmansfield, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  6. Hecky

Best Answers:
    I want to stay specificly on the topic of SHOUTcast, and not wander into the general music category.

Hecky, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  7. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey listen to Waffles! He knows what he's talking about in this field.
    His suggestions have helped me out.
    Thanks "Waff"!:)

8. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Then you may have maxed yourself out.
    There is not a whole lot more to say about Shoutcast.
    I have been listening to it since the beginning, but I wouldn't read a blog about just that.
    JMO

9. Hecky

Best Answers:
    You are you, however, there are many hosting companies that sell shoutcasts or want to sell shoutcasts and will need to use the guides as a reference, even I use the setting up shoutcasts on ssh guide to use for myself! I started up with about 10 ideas, so I thought..wow if I can think up 10 off the top of my head now, then I'm set. I was wrong : /

Hecky, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  10. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I still say, a wider category of content will bring more readers and more subject matter to write about, and you can sell them what ever you want after that.
    But you have to get them interested first,

11. waffles

waffles Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright, if you want to stay with SHOUTcast then you may have hit the limit. Which means you have two options.

1 - Expand. There are similar services, and you don't have a name or address that keeps you from doing that.

2 - Start talking about some of the SHOUTcast users.

Basically, you've got yourself in a corner. The good news is that it's a corner you put yourself in and there's still ways to get out of it.

Anyway, my school's station is a regular college radio station. Student run, basically playing what we want. It's fun, and leaves the door open to a lot of creativity.

Since I can't do shows over the summer, I've decided to write about other music blogs. It's an example of expanding myself in order to have things to write about.

I've looked through your blog, I'm not sure what else there is to write about SHOUTcast. My advice would be to expand slowly, you don't want to seemingly go off on an unrelated tangent. Start looking at other internet radio places. They can be specific shows, or places like SHOUTcast that allow people to have their own show.

waffles, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  12. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Brainstorming? Have you tried writing 20 new ideas even if they are crappy? I'm sure one will get you going. When I was writing articles all of the time I always had a list nearby where I kept my ideas. Some ideas didn't sound good to me one day, but then later they did so you have to keep the list alive.

camp185, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  13. dojo

dojo Peon

Best Answers:
    There's always something to write about. In my web development blog I just need to find something new to write about, but there are so many possible topics I just need 10 lives to deal with them all ... I just keep on looking around and would find something that makes me mad or something I experienced :D

dojo, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  14. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    then start writing about the new stuff in the blogging world. wanna hint?

shuttle, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  15. totalsuper

totalsuper Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the best ways to see how to effectively diversify a blog is to look at blogs by successful bloggers in similar fields. Then follow their lead.

On the other hand, if you have monetized the blog, and the posts have an enduring quality to their content, they'll continue to get a low but steady level of visits from real people for ages to come, even if you quit posting. I have personally experienced this.

totalsuper, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  16. Hecky

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have found a new way! I look at the reffering keywords and lots of them are questions about shoutcasts, ones that have keywords on my site, but I do not answer the questions. This should get me about 10 articles

Hecky, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  17. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A mix between option 1 and 3. If you have a steady income of traffic, don't abandon the site, keep writing.

Computerized, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  18. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I often find "question searches" in my logs. It's usually because one of my articles somewhere kind of touched on something. By reviewing this info, I can get a handle on what some of my viewers are looking for and address their needs.

It's a tried and true method of drumming up content ideas.

If you don't have the ability to see search phrases, you're losing out big time.

marketjunction, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  19. Hecky

Best Answers:
    Yeah, they are questions things like :

and

The list goes on..

Hecky, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  20. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. And the more SE traffic you get, the more stuff you'll find. You might be able to go on for a long time with that info.

marketjunction, Jun 18, 2007 IP