1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blocking low-paying ads. How do you know which ones are low paying.

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by adsensenewb, May 9, 2006.

I have read that you can block low paying ads from appearing on your site. How do you know how much each ad is paying?

adsensenewb, May 9, 2006 IP
  2. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You don't...
    You can check with channels and see which ads are displaying and then try to block them and see the results again...

Jarodboy, May 9, 2006 IP
  3. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't believe the hype about URL filters. Google automatically places the highest bid at the very top. If you're constantly getting low-paying ads, it's because your keywords are bringing them, and there's nothing Adsense can do about it because that's the purpose of Adsense -- give ads that matches your site. If that's the case, then going around filtering out ads will only result in you getting even lower paying ads. As I see it, the only reason to ever use the URL filter is if an ad is so out of place that it ruins your site (a sex ad, for example), or if the ad is for a competitor that might take away your business. Otherwise, I would suggest leaving it alone.

jackburton2006, May 9, 2006 IP
  4. Gt1

Gt1 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah i agree with jackburton2006,i myself only use it when there is a competitor .

Gt1, May 9, 2006 IP
  5. donnareed

donnareed Peon

Best Answers:
    I block all ebay domains- .com, .ca, etc., plus BizRate.com, just because they look so silly and off the wall. "Looking for Afghanistan? Bid now and get cheap Afghanistans!"

donnareed, May 9, 2006 IP
  6. theuser

theuser Guest

Best Answers:
    Google does not always place the highest priced ads at the top. They have a formula that counts clickthrough rate as well. So those 5 cent ads might have a clickthrough rate of 10-20 percent while those 1 dollar keywords might be 1 percent or less.

Right click the ads and visit the urls. If the site is running adsense, block it. If the site is not selling a product, block it. If the site has no content, block it. If the site has no navigation menu, block it. If you can't use the back button, block it.

If the ads don't appear to be related to your site topic consider rewriting the text to get more related ads.

theuser, May 9, 2006 IP
  7. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you serious? Block every site that's running Adsense? He'll use up his filter list in a few hours!

While it's true Google don't always display the highest paying ads first, they do display the ads that gets the most clicks (and thus, pays them and you more), so the effect is the same. Google does everything possible to maximize your earnings, because the more you make, the more they make.

8. theuser

theuser Guest

Best Answers:

Start with the main page and focus on those ads (that is where you generally have the most visitors). I'd say you won't have to filter out more than 4 or 5 ads at the most. New ones will appear in time and deal with those as they come.

ALWAYS (well 99% of the time) filter out adsense sites. Why? they can never afford to pay more than 5 cents a click (add in smart pricing the range drops to 1-5 cents). Google may make more money, the adsense publisher using adwords will (when they convert your traffic into a higher paying ads for themselves), but you won't and you'll visitors are less likely to come back.

The biggest secret to success using adsense is to offer only high quality useful ads that offer something your site doesn't. It could be a product or service.. but they must offer something useful.

With 50 (1-5 cent(s)) clicks you will never make more than 1 dollar or two a day. And the return visitor numbers will drop. With 50 useful ad clickthroughs, you could be sitting at 15-20 dollars a day or more depending on your topics. And, your visitors are more likely to come back. It is true the click rate will drop slightly but the visitors will hang around your site for longer periods which means when they do click, it will be something they are actually interested in, it will be worth 20 times more in revenue and those users will come back because they found something useful and will come back when they need something useful again.

I'd say give it a try jackburton2006. In three days the revenue will be way up. Unless you use adwords to generate your traffic, and in that case I completely understanding your point of view.

theuser, May 9, 2006 IP
  9. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like solid advice.

NewToAllThis, May 9, 2006 IP
  10. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    NewToAllThis, May 9, 2006 IP
  11. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I have. This, and a billion other ideas I thought was just simply brilliant at the time. But I always come back to the same point -- Google knows what it's doing. ;)

12. fortify

fortify Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the channel thin works very well

fortify, May 9, 2006 IP
  13. travelfish

travelfish Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way I've found to increase income is to reduce the number of adblocks on a page. I wouldn't advice banning sites left, right and centre as theuser suggests. It's my understanding that Google does load the highest paying adverts first, so it's generally not in your interest to have the maximum # of adblocks. Instead, use fewer adblocks and display them where you expect there to be a high CTR (Channels can helpwith this)

travelfish, May 9, 2006 IP
  14. Div By Zero

Div By Zero Peon

Best Answers:
    This really make sense, it's a great advise, I'll try to apply it tomorrow and tell you what results we had thanks !

Div By Zero, May 9, 2006 IP
    michael_angeloh likes this.
  15. frisby

frisby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    theuser, very good theory, really, thanks for advice and travelfish, i think the same too. Really good thread. Keep going.

I will really research advertisers and their pages on my page.

BTW, how can theuser have got only one (1) Post, altough he wrote 2 just in this thread. :rolleyes:

frisby, May 9, 2006 IP
  16. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Now this is something I totally agree with :)
    Just think of how adwords work (bid to get into the top 3 on default settings), if you only display 3 ads in one or two blocks then say goodbye to your .1 cent clicks (actually that's a lie as I had one two days ago, but they are pretty rare).

Deano, May 9, 2006 IP
  17. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    The less is more approach is definitely an oft-ignored approach but very worth considering.

18. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    that's the best advice in this entire thread.

i've tried it both ways, and for me, the mfa's will always wreck the epc... the exception to that is when your pages aren't worth squat to begin with, for example, forum pages.

there are a lot of adsense publishers out there who have an average ad block ecpm of around a $1.00... they are tickled pink to run that mfa garbage on their sites, and they typically see a lot more site-targeted adsense cpm as well, because at a $1.00 per thou, they are approaching the industry standard cpm rates... not a good situation to be in, unless you have a whole lot of traffic to make up for it.

those of you with quality sites in a good niche that has a lot of advertisers should use the filter as much as possible... on top of getting rid of the mfa's, i have also cut out nearly all directory sites, and most of the generic shopping sites as well.

danimal, May 9, 2006 IP
  19. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Leave it alone and stop playing with it!

Cheap SEO Services, May 9, 2006 IP
  20. jacksmith

jacksmith Peon

Best Answers:
    lot of discussion have be done on this topic, check old thread talking about MFA sites.

My suggestion would be to keep your content's keyword in a specific target area. For example if you have a blog /site about cars then don't go on discussion your blog life(which would bring in cheap ads from ebook sellers) or site hosting problems(which would bring godaddy like ads). Use DP's sandbox tool to narrow down to ur specific ads. Its all trial and error.
    Hope this help you.

jacksmith, May 9, 2006 IP