1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Black vs White hat

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by TerryG, Dec 1, 2006.

1. seodude

seodude Peon

Best Answers:
    hm why not?

seodude, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  2. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes many are in it for the money......course that leads to barren souls who forget one very very important thing in life

"One will never find an armored car following a hearse"

Money aint shit if your life sucks.....:cool:

Sem-Advance, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    If you do not know why link spamming is a bad thing you should change you nic here post haste....

Sem-Advance, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  4. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a type of person who would rather cheat at playing cards and win, than play fair and risk losing.
    There's a type of person who, given access to my wallet, would help themselves to my cash.
    There's a type of person who likes to make money by spamming my blogs everday with crap entries so they gain at the expense of my, and others, time and effort.

It's all the same, stealing my time or stealing my money, it's cheating for short-term gain. Those type of people might well be richer than me. Hey hey you know what, I don't care how rich they are. Me, I can sleep well at night.:cool:

Rasputin, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  5. ge00rge

ge00rge Peon

Best Answers:
    I just saw this and I couldn't resist replying....:eek:
    I mean..SEODUDE are you serious??Are you asking what's the point of building "good websites"?If you really don't know the difference you better quit making websites.So offence man,but if everyone were thinking the way you do,the Internet whould be a bunch of MFA sites...
    But of course everyone can have his own opinion..

ge00rge, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  6. Narrator

Narrator Active Member

Best Answers:
    ha I don't have a hat because nothing I do makes me any money.

Narrator, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  7. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree completely. I don't agree with what some webmasters do but there is nothing "illegal" about what they are doing then i say go for it. As you stated there is no TRUE definition of white hat or black hat....

xboxundone, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  8. DavidHall

DavidHall Active Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends what matters to you most. You want to earn some honest money, don't be black hat, phishing etc, things like that are just crossing the line abit.

DavidHall, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  9. H20

H20 Peon

Best Answers:
    The world is not black or white. It's grey :)

H20, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  10. TerryG

TerryG Guest

Best Answers:
    Any person who says "Oh, no, that isn't nice" wouldn't make a good lawyer or politician or salesman or sportsman.

Good luck to you if you want to be like the "Mom & Pop" store who says "We don't need to fear WalMart. We have been in business 50 years and we know all our customers by name" Yeah, right.

As they say "Winning isn't everything. It is the ONLY thing"

TerryG, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  11. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Not everybody should be a good lawyer or politician, or like anyone who values those scumbags, for the most part....there are some honest ones not in the game for themselves but that is few and far between.

Winning as you say is not everything as you might think...here's proof.

If Mike Tyson fought much smaller & weaker men and who had losing records in boxing matches.... he would never have become a champion..:)

Ergo it is winning and how one does so, that earns one respect. ;)

Strongarming to win does not earn one respect.....fear and intimidation will last for so long... and then it comes back to bite you in the ass.

Oddly enough corner hardware stores down the road from Walmart are still operating.

As they say

"those of you who think you know everything.... irritate those of us who do" :cool:

Sem-Advance, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  12. bestoptimized

bestoptimized Peon

Best Answers:

I would not spam blogs, email or any other way even if I could make a million dollars. It is cheating - stealing other people's time, money and reputation.
    As far as tricking Google, I don't do that. White Hats don't need to do that.
    SEO and internet marketing can be accomplished without resorting to blackhat. I wouldn't want to be a black-hat because after a while the sites are banned and you have to start over again and again. To me it is much better to have good resource websites, that can help people as well as make money. I am starting a new site that is mainly some very good tools and resources for a certain industry. The reason why I am starting this site is for money but it will help people. Black-hat sites rarely have anything good on them.

bestoptimized, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  13. leet

leet Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, what about greyhat :)

leet, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  14. mavahntooth

mavahntooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i hate spams, i hate spams, i hate spams, i hate spams. did i say i hate spams?

mavahntooth, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  15. Raithe

Raithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What about greyhats? I wouldn't call myself a white or a blackhat. I go where the mass-media marketting is. Check the signature :x. Im sure many business' classified as blackhats would agree.

Raithe, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  16. sem-antics

sem-antics Peon

Best Answers:
    There are no white hats.

Everything is varying shades of gray in SEO.

SEO, or search engine optimization, is about manipulating search results in order to achieve rank for specific keywords or phrases.

Any form of manipulation doesn't sound very white hat to me.

So if you submit to directories or do any kind of link building, which you should, then you aren't a white hat seo.

Or if you concern yourself with keyword density, title keyords, meta tags, or any of the usual seo issues, you aren't a white hat seo.

A white hat seo would only build their site, without trying to optimize, manipulate, deceive, or however you care to call it. And probably not see a lot of traffic either. Unless by some miracle they had great content that someone found and blogged about or linked to. But what are the chances.

White Hat SEO is an urban legend started by some SEO's that spoke of ethics and thought that some of the tactics being used were shady.

But realistically, most forms of SEO are manipulative when you think of the desired outcome.

At the end of the day, it's whatever gets traffic that gets the clicks to get your affiliate payout. But you choose how gray you are willing to go and the level of risk you're willing to take.

The whole debate was probably started by some people that didn't want to be associated with the same group that spammed blog comments and similar stuff. We all choose our own strategy. Just be sure to keep your white hat and black hat SEO separate.

sem-antics, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  17. chatmasta

chatmasta Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no right or wrong answer to this debate (which of course makes it a debate.) As has been said, the ultimate settler is one's personal precepts. Do YOU have any ethical objections to link spamming, blog spamming, forum spamming, etc? If you don't, then go ahead and do it. But if you do, you should always put your ethics in front of financial incentives. Sure, you could make a lot more money, but if you do it in what YOU define as a "black hat" way, you won't get much sleep at night. So essentially, the line between black hat and white hat is defined by oneself.

However, it should be noted that whether you consider it black hat or not, many forms of link spamming are indeed VERY short sighted, as you will most likely be banned by Google as soon as they see what you are up to (doesn't that tell you something about the acceptability of such practices!) In contrast, developing sites for the longterm and marketing them naturally (that is, in the area that you consider natural and that Google or someone won't ban you for) is a much better practice to guarantee financial stability in your business because you don't have to constantly be worried about getting banned.

So my conclusion is that there is a white area, a gray area, a black area, and illegal practices. The white area include practices which neither you nor Google have any legal or ethical objections to. The gray area is that area that employs techniques to which you have some objections, and Google MAY have objections to but take no action. The black hat area consists of techniques that Google will ban you for and that you have total ethical objections to; however, nothing in this area is illegal. The illegal area is self-explanatory, and may overlap with other areas.

chatmasta, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  18. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    I was wondering who said black hat was link or blog spamming???

If you think thats black hat you have some learning to do lol

Sem-Advance, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  19. chatmasta

chatmasta Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just using that as an example. I thought someone said it above me. Whatever. :p

chatmasta, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  20. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    My comments were not meant for you :)

Sem-Advance, Dec 10, 2006 IP