1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bizarre Blank Page problem

Discussion in 'C#' started by vpguy, Mar 3, 2008.

I have tried searching the net for this but haven't found a solution to the problem. I've found people who had similar problems but they were caused by something obvious such as a missing closing comment tag. In fact, I'm not entirely sure it's an ASP.NET problem - it might be an IE7 problem.

Here's the situation: I spent the last two months working on a major set of updates to my web site, although the pages which are now causing the problems had little or no changes. I developed, tested and debugged the changes on my own computer (ASP.NET 2.0), and never once encountered this problem during the 2 months.

Prior to uploading the changes, this problem was never encountered on the live site with the old pages either.

But after uploading the changes to my host, I have started experiencing an intermittent blank-page problem. Here's the thing though: the page appears blank in IE7, but doing a view-source reveals the same exact source code that is present when the page displays normally! To workaround the blank page, it is necessary to refresh the page and then it displays fine.

I'm not sure is if this problem is only happening to me or my visitors as well. I'm inclined to think that, since the problem never happened on my computer, and never happened on the host computer prior to these updates, it could probably happen to anyone (my bounce rate has increased a bit since the update, indicating that it probably isn't only happening to me).

It's also worth mentioning that I have been unable to recreate the problem with Firefox.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Please PM me if you want to investigate the site yourself (I'd like to keep the URL private due to the nature of the site).

And please refrain from comments such as "just use Firefox or Opera". I can't tell my visitors to do that.

vpguy, Mar 3, 2008 IP