1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BizAmmo.com - Blog or Non-blog?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by jhmattern, May 20, 2007.

I'm trying to make a decision on www.BizAmmo.com, and I could use some feedback:

It used to be a 4-site network run on cmsms on different subdomains. Not too long ago, I moved everything to Wordpress. The idea was to expand into a 20-site network, on WP, but keeping a network site feel (using a plugin to have all categories on subdomains... but it didn't work well w/ the theme I was using for some reason).

So now, I'm not crazy about the somewhat non-blog-style home page, and I'm wondering... should I leave it and just improve the home page in a non-blog-style, or should I just let the site fall into one really big business blog instead? It's been tough trying to promote it in blog directories and such, b/c they don't see that it's technically a blog when they look at the homepage, so it gets rejected often enough to be annoying. So should I give in and go back to a more blog-oriented look?

Jenn

jhmattern, May 20, 2007 IP
  2. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Resize your website, Im on a 1024*768 resolution and i can't see the last column on the right.
    The most part of internet users still use 1024*768 or 800*600 ;)

330td, May 20, 2007 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Really? I'm on 1024x768, and I see it all fine? Can some others with that resolution please weigh in for my sanity's sake? lol Thanks. :)

4. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What browser do you use ??

On firefox 2 the width looks like it's more than 1024px

On IE 6 the width is OK but you have big problems, all the content is displayed inline

330td, May 20, 2007 IP
  5. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I'm using Firefox and don't have any problems. I don't have IE6, but it's also displaying fine on IE7, and isn't having any issues being too wide, so I can't imagine what would be making it wider for you. I set it up so that the right column wouldn't necessarily be visible in 800x600, but the rest would.

Hopefully someone else will eventually chime in, b/c I'm not seeing any problems on my end right now.

6. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Firefox 2.0.0.1 (with ads ON, the website looks the same)

[​IMG]

330td, May 20, 2007 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Unfotunately though, there's not much I can do to fix it if it's displaying correctly for others with the same settings. Since no one else here is giving any feedback, I'll ask a few friends to test it tomorrow and see what it's displaying for others.

8. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IE 6:

[​IMG]

330td, May 20, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Alright... someone else I know has the same problem in IE6.

It'll have to wait a few days, but I guess that's as good a reason as any to drop the formatting and go to a blog format. I'll work on that once I have a chance then... probably Thursday, since I'm dealing with some more time-sensitive things through Wednesday night.

10. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem in IE6.

DarrenC, May 20, 2007 IP
  11. Hyworm

Hyworm Peon

Best Answers:
    I have FF 2.0.0.3, and its ok, for 1024, but IE is another story :p.

Hyworm, May 21, 2007 IP
  12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I've seen it, thanks. Like I said though, it's going to have to wait until Thursday when I make the other changes before I do anything else. I don't have a large enough audience using IE6 still to make it a rush priority. :)

jhmattern, May 21, 2007 IP
  13. adsensing

adsensing Peon

Best Answers:
    You could make the page a little more bloggy by posting excerpts of the 5-10 most recent blog posts on the front page. Then you can get rid of the two times you list the newest blog posts on the right side.

adsensing, May 21, 2007 IP
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Newest blogs are only listed once on the right side. Newest articles are also listed. The problem is that there isn't a way to remove the "blog" category from the comprehensive list.

More than likely what I'll be doing is leaving that top section (but updating it to new features and a new image), and then having the first articles / blog posts below that.

jhmattern, May 21, 2007 IP
  15. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like the existing layout. Especially how you've incorporated the ads.
    If you really want a blog, adding excerpts of the blog posts on the main page will do it.

Good Luck!

NikkiBlue, May 22, 2007 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Some of the problems I'm having now are keeping people updated on the latest things.... the recent articles bit is kind of hidden in the sidebar, and the recent blogs (for the blog category only) shows up in both its own section and the full recent one. I'm also having issues w/ the most popular posts, b/c if something's listed in two categories, it's sometimes displaying twice in the list for whatever reason. :( I'll figure it out... Thursday there will be changes of one kind or another.

jhmattern, May 22, 2007 IP
  17. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your site is OK on firefox now but not on IE, still a problem on your right div, maybe a "float:right;" or you don't specified the width :confused:

330td, May 23, 2007 IP
  18. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure. Like I mentioned, I won't be playing with this site until tomorrow, so I'll see what I can do then, and ask you guys to check it and let me know if there are still issues (since I can't preview in IE6). :)

jhmattern, May 23, 2007 IP