1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

biz directory hack

Discussion in 'Directories' started by stylemafia, Nov 16, 2005.

biz directory hack

for people that want to use the biz directory, but also want an seo friendly directory such as www.searchstream.co.uk

you can download it here >>>
    http://www.searchstream.co.uk/bizhack.rar

let me know if you have any other requests or suggestions.
    enjoy!

P.S. just remember to remove my links and google/bannerboxes stuff ;)

stylemafia, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  2. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    My understanding (I believe from mia) was that it was not permissible to distribute biz-directory hacks, even for free. I'd double check with the owner that you have permission to distribute this.

onlinedude, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  3. Xela220

Xela220 Peon

Best Answers:
    onlineDude, Get a life buddy.

Xela220, Nov 17, 2005 IP
    simplexity likes this.
  4. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Online dude is completely right:
    taken from http://www.biz-directory.org/directory_script.php.

Sorry to see the website is banned from google.

WhatiFind, Nov 17, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  5. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lol, ditto

ly2, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  6. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:

heh i would give out some neg rep for comments like these (but i cant for 24 hours) anyways onlinedude is correct and is trying to save the person distributing the file from a possible lawsuit, also i believe mod_rewriting a free version of the biz directory is also against there TOS since the PAID version of the script does static urls, so basicly by rewriting urls yourself you are using (a near paid version for free)

just-4-teens, Nov 19, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  7. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    .... and I received red reps from 2 people for pointing this out... obviously people don't want help and/or don't respect copyright....

onlinedude, Nov 20, 2005 IP
    just-4-teens and muchacho like this.
  8. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not too surprizing..... unfortunet, but understandable....

clasione, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  9. stylemafia

stylemafia Peon

Best Answers:
    i have no gain from this whatsoever, and its not exactly the strongest license ive seen, but i'll take it down if people arent happy using it.

stylemafia, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  10. Xela220

Xela220 Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep your negative comments to yourself. We get enough unconstructive criticism in Discussion Boards as it is. I am not questioning legal issues as I am a developer myself and I don’t like my work stolen from me neither. “onlinedude is correct and is trying to save the person distributing the file from a possible lawsuit” wrong! If he was trying to do that he would have sent stylemafia a PM or write a posting stating the infringement instead of self appointing himself Web Policeman and informing stylemafia that he was going to tell on him. Stylemafia is not asking for any money, so it seems like a good intentioned attempt to share his code. Onlinedude comments, on the other hand, seem to be ill willed.

Xela220, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  11. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    did you not notice the quote "you may not distribute this script, or make code modifications without permission"

just-4-teens, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  12. stylemafia

stylemafia Peon

Best Answers:
    i did see that line, but i still think my modifications are useful for people at digitalpoint and its worth sharing. its a very small modification but a huge improvement in terms of spidering for these biz directories. but you can all stop your complaining because it has been removed.

stylemafia, Nov 22, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  13. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i agree they are usefull for anyone that uses the biz directory script, but it also breaks the license/copyright agreement and therefor illegal.

just-4-teens, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  14. stylemafia

stylemafia Peon

Best Answers:
    its a two line license, 'nuff said.
    and the stuff they do is hardly ethical.

stylemafia, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  15. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:

So this means you dont have to follow them? The issue is not with the hack, it is the fact that they are not allowed to be distributed. I would think if they are checked and verified by the developer, they may allow the distribution through official channels.

Most likely reason for not allowing hack distibutions is that this would increase the support overhead of the directory script developer. They do not want any development with their name on it unless they know the integrity of the code. This is common practice.

ServerUnion, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  16. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think if we look at the other side, stylemafia tried to distribute his work/efforts free of cost for use by the community here. It was again handled well by him by removing the files for download after he came to know that it's against their TOS.

If, however, stylemafia was selling that code, and he would not stop selling it even after the TOS thing was known to him, then it would have had been wrong. For now, since he has removed the download, I think the issue closes. Maybe stylemafia, you can email the directory script owners and see if they ae interested in making this mod available via their website and maybe in return include a link to your website as a favor. Can't hurt to try and it's not wrong.

Hope this helps.

honey, Nov 22, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  17. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    and thats why i did not rep (i think) the original post, his/her intentions are good (providing something to the community and that) but just went about it the wrong way (as the initial replies said)

TO ORIGINAL POSTER

If your good with coding and stuff, why not start your own directory script? or you could find a directory script owner and see if they need anyhelp with anything.

just-4-teens, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  18. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and to add to just-4-teens's message TO ORIGINAL POSTER, why not post in Buy Sell Services section that you can take up mod_rewrite work, if at all that works with your skillset, which I presume it does based on your work on the biz dir mod for SEO friendly pages.

honey, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  19. stylemafia

stylemafia Peon

Best Answers:

i have developed my own and i use it on 15+ domains, i just saw people here asking for an seo directory and decided to start on biz directory. since then ive used it on a spare domain and been tweaking around with it.

FYI: i couldnt take my directory opensource because its a bit of a mess, maybe i'll rewrite it oneday and let you all have that instead.

im not looking for work, i just thought this thing might be useful for people in digitalpoint asking about free, seo friendly directories.

stylemafia, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  20. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's quite fun to write your own directory script from scratch. An interesting experience. ;)

muchacho, Nov 23, 2005 IP