1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bitterly Cold This Morning...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Your post is making me feel much better. :) We are only expected to get 18 - 24 inches for this one and our low temps will not be as bad as yours. It's all relative, isn't it?

jrbiz, Feb 6, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The saga continues: this morning, my thermometer read -3F/-19C. We have at least 30 inches of snow on the ground and the drifts and snowbanks are considerably higher. We are projected to get another 8 - 12 inches tonight. And they are saying that it will be colder tomorrow when we wake up. We basically had gotten no snow the whole winter until about three weeks ago. Now we have been hit with enough snow in three weeks to break records for snowiest winter.

Like an idiot, I agreed to have attend a business meeting in Boston last Wednesday and the Boston cowpaths that have been paved over and made into city streets have been absolutely buried in snow the past three weeks. The meeting was for 11:30am. I am actually about 45 minutes from Boston, but with mid-morning traffic and the extra snow on the roads, I left at about 9:30am. Two hours later, I am calling the person to tell him that I have just arrived in Boston, would find a place to park and see him a bit late. One hour later, having searched all parking garages, cruised metered streets, etc., I called him and told him that I was heading back home as I could not find a place to park. It was insane on Boston streets! Buses, trucks, taxis, etc., going every which way and really gumming up the works and pedestrians walking on the streets because sidewalks were not cleared. I waited at some lights for 8 cycles due to crazy gridlock. I unfortunately turned down one side street and it obviously had not been plowed very much and, for a minute, I thought that I had gotten my car badly stuck in the snow. Thankfully, I managed to get myself out of it. I still need to do the meeting next week, but may try to take the train in, though the train system is having tons of problems, too.

jrbiz, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  3. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    That sounds like trouble. The saga continues here as well. Extremely cold temperatures and lots, lots, lots of snow. One of our cars is buried under the snow and will be there until it melts in April. We have no more room to put the snow.

Page3, Feb 14, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    So... why in the world would anyone want to have meetings in those conditions? That's what I call dedication.

qwikad.com, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Upstate NY doesn't count. :) Aren't you guys like Canada anyway? By the way, my wife is from upstate NY.

qwikad.com, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There's a timing issue involved. What is crazy is that they are obviously dinosaurs not willing to do a web meeting, either.

jrbiz, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My wife is also from upstate NY. Rome/Utica area.

jrbiz, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  8. mickkennys

mickkennys Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you know about winteres guys - every winter here is like -10 to -20 Celcius, it start to snow on novemeber and stops on april - amounts like 50cm-1m is usual :)

mickkennys, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL...where are you from? I feel warmer already, even though it was -4F/-20C this morning. :)

jrbiz, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  10. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you guys mind sending some of the snow and cold you got there here in India?:rolleyes: Summer has started here and we're already feeling the heat …. more so as we're on the Tropic.:)

Content Maestro, Feb 16, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. Kenya Writer

Kenya Writer Active Member

Best Answers:
    It just started raining here in Kenya. I guess we have missed the freaking cold season for months now. :)

The problem is we do not have snow here

Kenya Writer, Feb 17, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I see. This thread has slowly started turning global, hmmm?? Hehe. ]:->

Content Maestro, Feb 17, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @Content Maestro, you continue to provide a great perspective on various situations. :) We need to connect you with the citizens of Boston as they are running out of places to truck the snow. I also would like to FedEx you all of the snow that is sitting on top of the roof of my house before it caves in. I looked at it yesterday and it is a bit scary...

jrbiz, Feb 17, 2015 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and that is really cool. It's fun to compare real time climate situations around the world and keeps things in perspective. Meanwhile, we are expecting a tad more snow tonight... :(

jrbiz, Feb 17, 2015 IP
  15. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks @jrbiz.:) Yep, Fedex is really a good idea as I need it quicker. Don't even mind air transport …. well at least as long as you're paying for it.:p LOL;)

jrbiz likes this.
  16. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    On a different note, aren't you guys there in US finding it a bit hard to start up your vehicles because of the snow and cold-weather?:rolleyes: I mean you surely must have something in place to deal with it, but the temperatures quoted in this thread are too freezing! I mean -20C and all .... What in the world?? :O

jrbiz likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My wife's car and my car sit in our garage when not in use and the garage, while unheated, is attached to the house so it is considerably warmer than the outside air temp. That said, if you leave a bottled drink in one of those cars on a cold day, it will likely freeze as the temp does get below 32F/0C in there. However, my daughter's VW bug sits outside on the driveway all of the time. The battery was really sluggish yesterday morning when I started it up to move it out of the way of the driveway for a few minutes. I believe that most car batteries are okay until -20F/-29C, but I could be mistaken. I do make a point to start up each car on every extremely cold day and let them warm up a bit as a precaution. People in more Northern (i.e., colder) areas do use engine block heaters to keep the engine and battery warm when the car is not in use. We do not need that here in New England (at least, I have not run into one around here.)

jrbiz, Feb 17, 2015 IP
  18. Kenya Writer

Kenya Writer Active Member

Best Answers:
    It just did :p :D

Kenya Writer, Feb 17, 2015 IP
  19. mnb1

mnb1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mnb1, Feb 21, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Can you drop ship some of that heat here? :)

Update: This morning the thermometer read -4F/-20C. Snow is supposed to start this afternoon and then, later tonight we are going to warm up above freezing (a +40F/24C change of temperature in a few hours) and the snow will turn to rain. The problem with that is that the snow that is already on house roofs will suck up that rain like a sponge and the weight of the snow/rain mix on the roof will be significant and can cause cave-ins. We have a ton of snow on the roof, but it is two stories up, so unless I were to hire a professional (and they are all booked up solid), I have to sit it out. Our roof has a high peak and good slant and, therefore, is fairly strong so I am not too worried about a cave-in. However, our gutters are frozen solid into what is known as an ice dam (including seriously scary looking icicles two stories up) which can cause water damage and mold problems in the Spring when the snow pack on the roof starts to melt and cannot drain anywhere so it backs up into the shingles and then starts getting into the ceilings and walls, etc. Yuck.

jrbiz, Feb 21, 2015 IP