1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bing VS Google (Decision Engine VS Search Engine) War is On!

Discussion in 'Bing' started by rani84jor, Jul 14, 2009.

1. klkhosting

klkhosting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do people make this types of topics, google is the best you need a IQ of .1 to notice that.

klkhosting, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    And which operating system are you using?

drhowarddrfine, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  3. athulbnair

athulbnair Active Member

Best Answers:
    recently bing is far better than the older version live... its showing some sense while the results are displayed, not like the old one, just showing the result according to the string. but the indexing of bing is not in top. certainly google is no1, but bing will be a challenge.

another advantage of google in getting the traffic is they display adult content whereas bing will not, so those who search for adult contents will of course go for google...

athulbnair, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  4. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll give you a +rep on this. You have provided an insight which for some reason has slipped the minds of so many here.

As a user, you may like Google or Bing or Yahoo etc. However, as a webmaster, the last thing you want is for a search engine to become so dominant so as to affect all SE traffic to your site.

Claudek, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    But then multiple search engines means divided users and users in one group may not bother to look in the other. Like having multiple telephone books, it's a pain when you can't find what you want in one and have to search the second, if you have it at all.

I'd rather work on doing well in the most used search engine cause that's where everyone is looking. Bing is hardly worth the effort.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  6. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure how that related :) - XP

Before I had this drop, I was really don't care what the sources my visitors coming from. More traffic -> potentially higher revenue, but dependency on one source adds risk to your traffic and to your revenue. Please note, also quality of traffic should be taken into consideration. Most of spam/scam you will receive, will come from Google. Bing brings less traffic, but higher visitor quality.
    Domination is not good for end users (which are us). Competition brings more opportunities to us. Think if you had only one telco in your country - what prices you will pay and what packages you will get. the same is here. If you banned by Google you almost have no other options. Again, you don't care about all this until it happens to you. When it happens you realize how bad it is.

BTW, Bing alone is small, but recent deal with Yahoo, makes Bing more important.
    I'm pretty sure one day Microsoft will integrate Bing with OS and people will search from the desktop directly. I really don't think Bing should be ignored for website owners looking forward.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Montreal Classifieds, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  7. Claudek

Best Answers:
    That is an interesting view. One should look at this with the "all eggs in one bucket view" though - if your SERP goes in the one dominant search engine, that would mean a great loss in SE traffic which would result in loss of revenue.

At least with multiple SEs, having lost SERPs in one SE would still result in adequate traffic from the other search engines.

Many webmasters already have good rankings in multiple search engines which allows them ongoing traffic even if one of the ranking slips in one of the SEs.

Again, one must think like a webmaster. As a webmaster, one cannot simply dismiss traffic from any source. One of my top monetized site's traffic comes mainly from Yahoo traffic (approx 50K/month) which is approximately 70% of all traffic. There would be others for whom other search engine traffic outside of Google may bring the same.

Claudek, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  8. cipals15

cipals15 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its like a fight sociology + science vs. Math. Google has been an evolution from a great mathematical equation. So Google still rules in term of power. :D

cipals15, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You complain about Google being the dominant search engine and that being bad yet you use Windows. I find that ironic.
    How in the world would you ever get banned?
    That will never happen for the same reason they can't integrate IE anymore. Anti-trust.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It's better to think as a user and user's don't use Bing.
    I understand this point but resources should be placed where they are more effective.
    My question, when someone brings that up, is why is that so? I would question why I don't get more hits from the world's most used search engine but I do from the little used one. What am I doing wrong cause something is definitely wrong.

11. eLeSlash

eLeSlash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is and will be for a long time the engine that all preffer.

eLeSlash, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  12. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is weird - sometimes bing has great results, other times, it is TOTALLY off the mark - I mean TOTALLY - I've searched for stuff and the first 10 results don't even have the words mentioned... what the hell.

rochow, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  13. pioneer1

pioneer1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is best in search at the present time. Microsoft is investing vast sums of money on their search engine Bing and are playing catch up.

Bing definitely got potential, but Google is ahead in the search game

:)

pioneer1, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  14. Claudek

Best Answers:
    That statement makes no sense. This is a webmasters forum firstly. We should always think like a webmaster for traffic sources coming into our sites. Regardless of your perfect utopia, users do use other search engines besides Google which does include Bing.

Resources should be placed wherever you can. As one cannot guarantee top rankings in SERPs for websites, this is again something that should be spread. One can try all they want and have a website on the 2nd page of Google but they may do better and be on the first page for other search engines. The effort they have put into getting the website for those search engines is bring them traffic and generating income. This is basic SEO and follows the "not having all eggs in one basket" scenario.

This follows on from the above. The example I gave previously is what I am experiencing for the website I mentioned in my previous post. There are about 12 million search hits for the main keywords. Google has many old established websites on the first page. My website is on the 2nd page. Now that same website was also optimized for Yahoo and is on the first page and sending me 50K hits a month. This is something experienced by most webmasters in some form. Now that site may eventually get to the first page of Google, but the traffic from Yahoo is making the money right now.

This is a reasonably basic and straightforward argument why more search engines are better for webmasters. Of course with Yahoo's SE being powered by Bing soon, this will result in a duopoly which is not a positive step for webmasters - that being another story though.

Claudek, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  15. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I see personally in traffic logs is that Bing is doing fairly well.

Bing is not on Googles level by a long shot, but it's about level with Yahoo and in fact in nearly all my sites logs - Bing is sending more traffic than Yahoo.

But will Bing keep this up? I doubt it.

Toopac, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter what a webmaster thinks if a user thinks differently. The webmaster that thinks like a user will always have more success.
    I would rather be a big fish in Google's pond than a big fish in Bing's. I would also rather be a little fish in Google's. So, all in all, I'd rather be where the most worms are. If no one is fishing in your pond, you could starve.

17. mohammad111

mohammad111 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like Bing and I sometimes I even like it better than Google but I am so used to searching at Google then whenever I open my browser my fingers automatically start typing "google.com" :D

mohammad111, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  18. Claudek

Best Answers:
    I am not sure of you read what I wrote properly. There is no reason a webmaster should limit themselves to only one SE. It is very presumptious of you to assume you can be a big fish in Google's pond - if it was that easy, none of these SEO threads and companies would exist.

You are correct in that webmasters need to think like users - however this is more to do with how best to get them to visit your site, stay there and purchase items.

Claudek, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  19. athulbnair

athulbnair Active Member

Best Answers:
    but bing is far better now, compared to the old version live.....

athulbnair, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  20. bojandevic

bojandevic Peon

Best Answers:
    Bing has some features that other search engines don't have, but Google always gives better results and that is what I need.

bojandevic, Nov 21, 2009 IP