1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bing click fraud through an app

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Captain_Planet, Apr 30, 2015.

Hi, we have Google ads running and do very well through them for an ecommerce site, we've also had Bing ads which basically just mirror the account. We've never had much volume through them so I've never given them much attention, they get a decent return on investment but for the volumes of traffic it's never really been worth paying much attention to.

At the beginning of the month our bill shot up massively, I looked into it and our conversions were no better than normal, but we'd spent a lot more than usual. All ads groups were getting normal levels of traffic apart from one. The keywords used were "<brand name> app" and some other brand terms which would normally get 1-2 clicks a month. Zero conversions from 3000 clicks.

Looking in Analytics the majority of these clicks came from Windows phones. We'd expect a low % of traffic from windows phones so something not right (we have a 4% conversion rate so for 3k clicks even low quality traffic we'd get at least something back).

Contacted Bing, spoke to a nice guy who looked into it, we had the content network turned on and it looks like it is from an app. For the number of clicks I suspect it's on a windows phone app with a dodgy placement next to a button or something.

They are offering a partial refund but to me it's obvious it's click fraud or accidental clicks but they won't budge as we had the content network turned on.

Has anyone had similar problems form Bing or does anyone know what i can do to claim back?
    I've paused all ads and said I'd just move our budget back to Google so it's their loss (probably rather small in Microsoft budgets however!)

Captain_Planet, Apr 30, 2015 IP
  2. Dave Kash

Dave Kash Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there
    I have had a similar problem last year when I ran my first few Bing ads campaigns.
    Yes at one point I set up a squeeze page and got only 1 conversion for 331 clicks.
    Something was very wrong, so I investigated and found out that they had made a
    mistake in sending the wrong traffic than I had specified.
    I spent only $30 for this ad but I got a full refund with no hesitation.

It is great that you called them but I would not accept a partial refund. Here is what I would do if I was you.

1. Send them an email and be as thorough as possible with your problem

2. Call them again immediately after that again being as detailed as possible with the problem

3. Let them know that you have tracked your clicks (Which I assume you did) and that you are not satisfied with the data (Show your click data and conversion rates data screenshot via email)

Make sure you be as clear and thorough as possible and you should have no problem in getting a full refund :)

Dave Kash, May 2, 2015 IP
  3. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Although I don't know what platform you are using, there may be an addon that could prevent click fraud/click bombing. I know that Wordpress has 1 or 2 such addons, which are free.

usasportstraining, May 5, 2015 IP
  4. mascot

mascot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Getting Ranked on Bing is easier as compared to Google. Do not waste time on PPC Whether on Google Adwords or Bing. You will end up being bankrupt if you are running on a tight budget. Focus on SEO and let it grow.

mascot, May 7, 2015 IP
  5. Captain_Planet

Captain_Planet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your responses. Just to update we've been offered a 50% refund to which I pushed back as I provided Analytics data showing the clicks originating from Windows phones over a short period of time with zero conversions. The 50% refund is all we are going to get short of us writing to the head office with our complaint.

Perhaps it would be more profitable to set up a cheap app and engage in click fraud than run a respectable online store...

Captain_Planet, May 12, 2015 IP
  6. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiosity, having Bing ads and Google ads running at the same isn't breaking Google Adsense TOS?

Mystique, May 14, 2015 IP
  7. Captain_Planet

Captain_Planet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not that I'm aware of, there is an import tool so I would ahve thought Google would take it up with Bing. To be honest it's non of Google's business if I use the same text in adverts on other platforms.
    An update to what happened, we got refunded but it's happened again. There is no option to remove the content network from campaigns, only in each ad group. I'd missed a couple and surprise, surprise a load of clicks from Nokia and Windows phones and no conversions. Some scammy app pushing ads in the way for people to accidentally click I presume. Bing don't seem to mind though...

Captain_Planet, Oct 6, 2015 IP
  8. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about Adwords.

rsrikanth05, Oct 8, 2015 IP