1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Billing for an hourly Consultation

Discussion in 'General Business' started by wayne.piscolaty, Mar 1, 2014.

I will be doing my first development consult shortly. Well, first paid consultation. I'm not really sure how to go about charging, billing/invoicing, and ensuring that I get paid. It's most likely going to be a one time consult. Though there is a chance they hire me for the project.
    I will be charging $75 an hour for the consult. I've notified the client and has informally agreed that we should do the consult. The meeting will either be face to face, or over the phone. We have not discussed this yet. He is waiting for me to get back to him. I am trying to figure out how to bill & charge before I contact him.
    My questions are...
    • Should I put the terms of the consultation in writing? In a agreement or contract...or is this overkill? Do you guys do this? An initial consultation fee agreement, maybe?? Maybe something that talks about my hourly rate & that they will be required to pay.
    • Would there be any way to enforce or prove that we met, for the timeframe that we did. Consult may possibly be over the phone.
    If no contract/agreement then...
    • Should I bill a mandatory hour in advance? And then after we surpass that hour invoice them later on?
    • Should I just do the consultation and invoice afterward and just hope the money is paid. And allow the trade off to be, if they don't pay, don't work with them in the future?

Any feedback that you can provide me would be very helpful!

wayne.piscolaty, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that you put the terms of the deal (including potential future work) in writing and send the customer this text as a "recap" of the deal, as discussed. There should be a place at the bottom where you both agree to the terms with your dated signature. At the very least, you both should have a document outlining the deal in case there is disagreement down the line. I would suggest that you ask for 25-50% deposit upfront with the remainder to be invoiced at the time of completion of the project.

Above all, keep in mind that this client could be your first reference which can be critical as you pursue more business. So do be a little flexible with this person who is giving you your first chance.

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2014 IP
    daveman likes this.