1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Big Problem or empty threats?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Brian123, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Makubwa

Makubwa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unlucky about that mate , why don't you start another one with the domain in somebody elses name and redirect from that domain name which you will have also transferred to somebody else?

Makubwa, Jul 12, 2007 IP
    Brian123 likes this.
  2. Brian123

Brian123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Makubwa.

I don't know what I'll do now! I'll think about things, and see what happens. I don't want any legal action taken against me though!

Brian123, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  3. myindianhost.com

myindianhost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Being taken to court should not be what u should be worried about since you will win the case...you are wrong nowhere...
    Just the thing that he'll fire you from the job is a problem..!!

myindianhost.com, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  4. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    "Sell" the website to another person and delete your user name you use on there now. They can't legally make you shut it down because it is freedom of speech as long as there are no threats against the work place or people in the workplace. Other then that you should be fine. And make all pages private so you need to register to get on it and make it also so that you must verify each submission, so any suspicious you may just not let them in to post.

primeelite, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    whether not weather

Tough one, hopefully you can get it back up soon and make something good out of what is happening with your job. You could make a really big deal about this and get lots of media attention and sell ad space to help if you want to keep it up and risk the job.

Sometimes you have to do what is best and sometimes you stick your neck out and stand up for what you believe. Choices.

debunked, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  6. LXscope

LXscope Banned

Best Answers:
    That is completely different, the person that you fired talked about you directly, as where in this case he did not talk to him but simply hosted an opportunity for this to happen. This of it this way, if you had someone working for you and he also owned blogger.com and someone using that for some idiotic reason said something negative about your company, would you tell them to take blogger down and threaten there job? No! Your company's a bully and you should not be held responsible for what others do, and you went a step further bye making that discloser. What I would do is reup the site, get them to call you and automatically start telling them that you have already gotten a lawyer, that they are infringing on your freedom of speech right and that as the discloser clearly states you will not be responsible for anything someone else posts. Not only that but tell them that they have been harassing you and that if you receive another phone call or any form of communication regrading this matter you will automatically take it one step further with file a law suit. They as many other companys before them will hesitate to make a move and by that time it will be to late for them to do anything. Believe me they will not take this any further becuase even if they fire you you can take this to court and not only sue them for the cost of the lawyers but also more to set you off for awhile. Believe I worked for a much larger company with a similar situation taking place and i ended taking them to court because they fired me and i won, to top that i wont what i would have made for quit some years and i worked as a computer engineer at that time so it was hardly pocket change. But then again im just a guy on the web :D

LXscope, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  7. adviceforall

adviceforall Banned

Best Answers:
    I would strongly suggest seeking some form of legal advise as well.

The disclaimer should be enough to back you legally however big companies have a lot of money and can be very powerful I would suggest having a chat with your boss and coming to a compromise maybe?? That will suit you both and make you both happy.

Thing is your doing a good thing and I know what thats like to want to offer a helpful and useful service. However big companies do not like to lose business.

Just be careful where u tread lol.

~Rick~

adviceforall, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  8. Brian123

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for spotting my grammatical error!
    Although I am confident I am right with this, I cannot afford to loose my job, even if the company did sack me, and I took them to court, I could be without money for many months while the case was sorted out.
    I will try to come to some sort of arrangement with the managers, where a forum could be set up, but kept out of the public domain. This could be done for many other companies too, so all may not be lost.

Brian123, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  9. hitboy

hitboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    why not sell the forum or switch jobs lol or transfer it to a friends name etc..

hitboy, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  10. Brian123

Best Answers:
    Because I was told by my boss that if it was to reappear, even if it was under new ownership, it could still have repercussions on me at work.
    I think finding a new job is easier said than done these days.
    I gave my word that I wouldn't re up the site, and I wouldn't pass it on to anyone else, but it still doesn't stop someone else making a new one.
    I am looking at ways in which I can start a new one that is out of the public domain, and my managers have asked me to work with them on this one.

11. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would fight it - or sell it.

Lpspider, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  12. Brian123

Best Answers:
    Can't afford to loose my job!