1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Big mistake!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by fcmisc, Jun 13, 2005.

I accidently clicked on an ad on my page while working on the template. Will Google ban me for this? I've sent an email to support explaining how it was an error, but after all the scare stories I've heard...

fcmisc, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  2. Bazkaz

Bazkaz Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you notified support and explained it you should be ok.

Bazkaz, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    One click is hardly going to get you banned. Anyway, I assume there are safe guards in place that keep the clicks from even counting. If not, there is something wrong with the concept :)

Mia, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  4. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's from the same IP as the one you use to login to adsense, I'd imagine it'd be auto discounted yeah...

I made the same mistake when I first started using adsense years ago. Felt like such an idiot, I think it was the very same day I carefully read through the TOS too :D I was like "ooh that sounds interesting! *click* oh &%@$!"

davedx, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  5. derzse

derzse Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry. I think nobody was banned for clicking one-two times on the ads on his page.

derzse, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  6. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are right. I accidently clicked on one of my adsense ads on a website I never promoted (no traffic, no clicks, etc.) My accidental click was never counted. Maybe google have something in place to filter the clicks coming from the user account IP.
    It would be good anyway if in your google adsense account there was an option where you could enter ips from which you would want the clicks to be excluded.

zamolxes, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I customer of mine that does very well with AdSense summed it up best by saying "I think Google is smarter than me. They hire nothing but engineers and English professors... I think they are a bit smarter than me."

I thought that made perfect sense. Hey, nothing is perfect, but my guess is they are pretty smart over there, and know what they are doing :)

Mia, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  8. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A few times a month, I accidentally click my own ads when I'm editting my site. I just back out of the window as soon as I realize it. Errant clicks are going to be inevitable if you edit your site in a browser window like most people do. I'd suspect that google sees you log in from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and disallows any click from an IP address you have logged into your account from.

lorien1973, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  9. pachecus

pachecus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry

pachecus, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  10. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Indeed, I was showing my mother in law my new online store when she said to me "Why does it say on your site you are closed for the holidays?" eek, she had clicked on adsense and went somewhere else, a quick email to google gets a standard reply but it makes me feel happier to admit to it, there is no doubt they already discount such clicks though.

sji2671, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  11. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. However, at the end of the day google is much more interested in protecting the interests of the advertisers than those of the publishers. Add to that the many forum posts (here and on other forums) from people claiming they got their account suspended because of fraudulent clicks but swear on their life they've never clicked on their own ads and it's easy to understand why ... people worry. :(

12. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I was checking the adsense on a site that I have volkswagen stuff and I kid you not, I thought one was interesting and not even thinking I clicked and then I went " oh crap!!" what did I just do. I made sure to type the URL's after that....

debunked, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  13. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    I know, I sometimes find interesting adsense ads on my sites too. If I want to visit the page I always copy the url and paste it in the browser because ... I am worried; another reason why it would be great to have a "exclude clicks from IP:" option in our adsense accounts.

14. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    U did the right thing. You'll be OK.

I've had plenty of accidental clicks. The last time was this past Sunday. I emailed G about it--of course--but then when I checked my earnings later that night, I noticed that the click was worth $0.00, which means G must have some sort of new publisher tracking system going.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  15. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see interesting ads on my site all the time. If people are writing genuine articles on sites that they're genuinely interested in, then Adsense would be failing if its adverts didn't interest the publishers.

fcmisc, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  16. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    I accidently clicked an add while copying text from one of my sites. Even though the click did not generate revenue, I emailed google and reported the incident. That was 2 weeks ago - I never heard back from them, and my account continues to accumulate revenue.

They are probably looking for patterns of abuse. While it's probably a good practice to report the occaisional mistake, I would not loose sleep over it.

jlerner, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  17. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    Do they discount clicks, or don't they? Is there anything "official" online which says one way or the other.

web-rover, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  18. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I pass all of my ads through a tiny piece of PHP code before they are spit out. It checks the IP address of the person visiting the site and if it matches mine, it doesn't display the ad. Then if I want to make sure the ads are relevant, satisfy my curiosity, etc I can quickly change a line in the PHP code to show them to me again.

if ( getenv('REMOTE_ADDR') != 123.456.789.012) { // if I am not the visitor
         echo ('google ad code here'); //display the ads because the visitor is not me
    }
    PHP:
    I suspect this might also be better for calculating accurate CTR on sites without too much traffic (YET !) since visits to my own site won't count as impressions.

This could also be easily implemented into CMS / blogs where you are normally logged in. For example in WordPress if you wanted to only display ads for users who are less than level 9 you could do so like this:

get_currentuserinfo(); // WP function to get current user's info
    global $user_level; // make sure to keep in scope
    if ($user_level < 9) { // if the user isn't level 9 or above
         echo ('google ad code here'); // display the ads for this user
    }

PHP:

tflight, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  19. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Sometimes I look at the coop links on some of my sites and think - that looks interesting and click on them, then get I get a sudden rush of blood and think shit! What have I done - ahh, s'ok your allowed to click on coop ads, its certainly breeds an unhealthy view for me, I get a cold shudder if I click on a coop link thinking I have done something wrong before my brain engages.

sji2671, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  20. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is funny... the coop ad paranoia (sp?) They will have to label this with a new phobia: clikyorownadsensphobia

Where is minnie when you need him?

debunked, Jun 13, 2005 IP