1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Big directory listing with FTP or SFTP client

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by jhashan, Dec 15, 2015.

My root directory have so much files and when I try to connect with WinSCP its always say not responding, with Filezilla its just showing Listing Directory but nothing happening. With Putty I can see but I need with any SFTP or FTP client.

After long time Filezilla giving error
    Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Is there any way to show Directory Listing quickly on FTP or SFTP client? or skipping that directory to another?

Solved! View solution.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    jhashan, Dec 15, 2015 IP
    In WinSCP you can chose what you want as your starting directory. Another solution would be to clean up your root directory. I don't know what limit will turn WinSCP into a sluggish mess, but if you have more than a couple hundred files in your root, you're doing something very wrong. Actually, if you have more than maybe 50-100 files in root, you're doing something wrong. Depends probably also a bit on your broadband, and what speed you get to the FTP-server.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 15, 2015 IP
  3. Doctor Tech

Doctor Tech Member

Best Answers:
    Did you try upgrading Filezilla to the latest version?

Doctor Tech, Dec 16, 2015 IP
  4. jhashan

jhashan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, I have thousands of file in root yes I need to clean but problem is before clean up I need to see what are they. Actually I bought a site and take over there server also thats why dont no what is here. Anyway I fixed my problem by increasing time-out limit in Filezilla. Thanks for reply me

No need to upgrade it just time out error that I fixed by increasing time-out limit from Filezilla. Thanks for reply me.

jhashan, Dec 17, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Granted, if you have SSH-access, why not just log in via SSH and view the files there? Should be both faster and easier.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 17, 2015 IP